Incubation Humidity

• 2 Replies

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
Incubation Humidity
« on: July 13, 2010, 16:24 »
I have just started breeding my silkie chickens this year so I got myself an incubator and my eggs are doing very well and the first batch will be hatching around Monday.

However, I have been putting them in in batches as I only have 3 silkie hens. I put in a batch a week. When I raise the humidity levels for the first batch of eggs to hatch, will it adversely affect the other, not quite so ready to hatch, eggs.

Thank you for your time. :)

Thingy xx
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Re: Incubation Humidity
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 17:57 »
Thingy is your inncy a manual turn? If not how are you going to deal with stopping the turning process on day 18?
if you have 3 hens why do you not just save a weeks worth of eggs that would give you 21 eggs to place in the inncy then humidity would not be a problem.
As far as the humidity is concerned, i have had real trouble with it this year, and i am sure someone with more experience will come along and correct me if i am wrong, but if it is to high when the last lot of eggs go in it could affect them, same as if temp is to high.
i must admit i have 3 inncys and use one as a hatcher i know not everyone has that luxury, and its not alway possible to do that, but at least if they are going in the inncy in batches you just move the ones out at 18 days and up the humidity that way.
Hope that helps a little
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
Re: Incubation Humidity
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 20:01 »
Yea, its manual. I prefer manual to be honest, more work but you can keep an eye on things. Trouble is, high humidity drops suddenly when you open the incubator so I will have to turn them really quickly.

:/ I am a student so I cannot afford a seperate hatcher. I would love one though.

I am carefully planning when I put my batches in around planned humidity rises, I am thinking giving them time to settle before raising the humidity. I collect 14 a week so I put them in once a week...usually on a monday. After hatching I would put the humidity back down to 45%

I do not want to lose much of the first batch though, they are the most special as they are the offspring of my poor Harry (Rest his soul)

Yes it did help a little bit....any advice you can give is great. Even though I am trained in Animal Management, I admit I used to be phobic of chickens and ergo, never went to the lectures that involved them. :)....I regret that now...

xx
incubation humidity

Started by eddy h on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 11:35
by eddy h
xx
Humidity in Incubation Help sort this out for me please.

Started by death of rats on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 16:44
by death of rats
xx
Humidity gauge for incubation which one??

Started by monarch on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 06:54
by Paddywack
xx
humidity

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 20:38
by Bodger

Page created in 0.665 seconds with 30 queries.