Flavour enhancing secrets?

• 20 Replies

johnfh

• Experienced Member
Flavour enhancing secrets?
« on: July 13, 2010, 00:24 »
I certainly find improved flavour is one of the bonuses of growing your own veg.  Reading through the posts you get the odd remark about additions to the soil that seem to help the flavour.  It would be very intersesting to have a list in one place of additions which members have found (or think) add to the flavour.  I suppose the soil you have may effect this in combination with additions but worth a try; details of soil type could be included too if you think they are relevant.

All I can offer so far is well rotted horse manure on a medium clay soil.

If you are willing to share your sectrets please post away.

John

Paul Plots

Re: Flavour enhancing secrets?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 00:44 »
This sounds a very good idea... one problem might be that floavour is all a matter of personal choice... but certainly worth a try.

All I know is that the difference between fruit and veg grown slowly in the big outside world on a decent patch of soil and that grown speedily and commercially is often outstanding.

This season my tastes to die for have been:
  • baby leaf spinach
  • strawberries
  • new potatoes
  • new peas
  • cucumber
  • raspberries
  • beetroot

Next I am looking forward to the first ripe tomato!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 05:44 »
John I dont think it is anything in the soil that gives the flavour it is the variety of veg you grow that has the taste, take supermarket carrots someone will correct me but I think they are called "APACHE" these are not grown for taste but for transportability and uniformity in size as are "ELSANTA" strawberries, try buying a few differant packets of the same veg ie cauli's/cabbage and grow them in the same row under the same conditions and see if there is any differance in taste.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:10 »
For me, flavour is a combination of good soil, flavoursome variety, time and lurve. 8)
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:18 »
The soil does make a difference to taste, that's why certain types of wines can only be grown in certain areas, if the vines are planted elsewhere the wine doesn't taste the same...'terroir'.

I find that tomatoes grown in pots with only chemical feeds to not taste as good as those grown with the help of manure/compost. The potted tomatoes can taste good, but the manured ones taste better IMO. Best tomatoes I ever grew were with goats manure  :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:19 »
Yup, the secret is in the s**t. :)

colleensj

• learning......
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 11:33 »
lol @ Ice....

I shan't be telling my kids though!! I struggle enough to get veg down their necks!  ;)
The goal of life is not to arrive at the graveyard in a well preserved body, but instead to skid in sideways, totally worn out yelling "What a ride!".

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 12:00 »
Thanks for all your replies already! Looking at the times do some of you never sleep!

Ice you are probably right but Mrs Boquet woiuld not like it.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 16:07 »
I add poop to everything I grow. My neighbour supplies me with a load of free chicken poo every year which I'm thankful for, but I'd actually prefer cattle poo for the veg. Until the chickens grow horns, I'll accept in silence  :D
I grow peaches and I find the best for them is a few dead whole fish buried just under the soil about two feet from the trunk and around the circumference. It adds the best flavour. If I can't get fish, I use fish emulsion which isn't as great but still works.
For blueberries, we prefer pigeon poop for best flavour.
For my flowers, which I don't eat, I prefer sheep manure.

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 16:55 »
Hmmmm i can get hold of elephant , rhino ... well any animal dung , yeah a good friend of mine is the manager at Knowsley safari park , i think i will try a few different flavour dungs next year  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 17:09 »
Hmmmm i can get hold of elephant , rhino ... well any animal dung , yeah a good friend of mine is the manager at Knowsley safari park , i think i will try a few different flavour dungs next year  :)

Do they keep birds at Knowsley? I've heard the right sort of bird poo makes everything flamin'go!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 18:52 »
There's been no sh… natural animal deposits on my plot for many years.... other than canned chicken what-sit.                   (Buckets full of that until the price rocketed and the pension kicked in).

I use just compost – huge amounts of it dug in every autumn and much of this just plain old grass-mowings. The soil is wonderful…..

Grass-flavoured everything!  ;)

Seriously folks:
I have two plots “old” and “new” each with very different soil composition – both originally clay for brick making I think!!

The old plot is wonderfully fine and so easy to work all but Swede does well in it.

The new plot is horrid for some crops but others thrive survive. The soil dries out quickly and is like concrete in places – when wet it is very wet! Raspberries (several different varieties) have a wonderful flavour on this plot with continuous top dressing of a grass-mulch. 

Swing Swang

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 07:23 »
I feel that outdoor-grown toms can be over-fed and over-watered. The resultant large, fleshy fruits have less flavour than the smaller, denser produce of less indulged plants.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 08:09 »
My outdoor toms are left to get on with it, straight into the soil, no manure & only watered if there's really a drought.

The flavour beats the greenhouse ones hands down.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 19:16 »
This season my tastes to die for have been:
  • baby leaf spinach
  • strawberries
  • new potatoes
  • new peas
  • cucumber
  • raspberries
  • beetroot

Wot no Sweetcorn on your list? Of all the more-tasty-than-Supermarket-stuff that I grow the Sweetcorn is head-and-shoulders in the lead. Always fun to server when we have a few folks round for lunch in the Summer - "Where do you get your Sweetcorn from?" gives me a wry smile :)

xx
secrets to success

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 22:38
by Trillium
xx
Share your secrets to broad bean success

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 10:05
by Stoatus
xx
Tomato flavour

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 00:43
by Paul Plots
xx
Loss of flavour

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 24, 2023, 18:29
by Growster...

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 39 queries.