First ever veg tonight

• 10 Replies

Solidthegreat

First ever veg tonight
« on: July 12, 2010, 22:26 »
Its my First ever season growing anything and i had my own home grown Courgettes for tea tonight, I have been desperate over the last 2 days for it to get to a decent size so i can harvest, then tonight was the night. When people first told me home grown veg tasted 100 times better than shop bought, i thought they were over exagerating. However after tonight, OMG i am on thier side. Cant wait for more veg to grow now. Think i need a doctor as i have been bitten by the veg growing bug. HELP!!! :) :) :)

mobilekat

Re: First ever veg tonight
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 22:27 »
Well Done, bet they tasted perfect!!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 22:41 »
Good show Solidthegreat ... made up for you matey , word of warning ... this time next week you will be sick of Courgettes  :lol: once you pick the first one another  3 will pop up  :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 22:42 »
Good show Solidthegreat ... made up for you matey , word of warning ... this time next week you will be sick of Courgettes  :lol: once you pick the first one another  3 will pop up  :)

Gotta agree! Im giving us a break from courgettes this year, we ate them until we were green last year  :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 22:43 »
the spuds will taste fantastic too but I think the best thing you can grow and eat straight off the plant is sweetcorn. It's a taste sensation. Plot to plate in as short a time as possible. Nothing to beat it  :)  Best to cook it at the plot  :D

Solidthegreat

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 22:55 »
I guess i will get sick of courgettes at some point if they grow as quick as that, but not for a while i hope. Saying that i have a few friends i can give them too if it gets too much, Really cant wait for my spuds, beetroot and swede now.
Just a quick one while we are on the subject, just how fast do courgettes actually grow. I noticed a couple of others that were about a centimetre thick and about 2 inchs long, how long before i harvest those. Sorry getting excited and impatient

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 22:57 »
about a day and they're ready.  You don't want them too big. Baby courgettes are lovely.  I like to grow yellow ones as can hide them easier in cakes and stuff ("carrot" cake goes down a treat in our house. If only they knew  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 22:59 »
Spuds are a revelation - seriously. I'm itching to taste my King eddies and new try Golden Wonder (sent by my lovely Iain JBA)

Maxine Groobey

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 23:05 »
Fantastic and lucky you, my plants have once again been eaten be the slugs and snails, 4th year in a row now! But I still have one little 'runt' seedling, I think I will keep this one hidden away in the green house, (shhhh, don't tell the s & s's) but had first meal of fresh peas yesterday, now they are amazing and actually quite difficult to get as far as the kitchen as I prefer them raw! Lol enjoy the fruit of you labours, it's well worth it :)

Zippy

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 00:51 »
I think the best thing you can grow and eat straight off the plant is sweetcorn.

Too true. My wife and I were sitting on the allotment eating raw sweetcorn straight off the stalks last year like some kind of large garden pest! Couldn't wait to get them home and cook the first two. So sweet and crunchy with a side helping of Mange Toute straight off the stems. Who needs butter!

Well done Solidthegreat and welcome to the Gardenbug Club.

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 08:32 »
Well done! I'm looking forward to my first courgettes in a few days. Also got some swiss chard coming up.

xx
sow tonight?

Started by veg-grower on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 26, 2006, 22:32
by rugbymad40
xx
fleecing tonight

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 13:58
by madcat
xx
Tonight's harvest

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 22:06
by SalJ1980
xx
Forecast of 4C for tonight for the SE

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2016, 07:46
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.636 seconds with 28 queries.