yellow raspberries

• 4 Replies

viettaclark

yellow raspberries
« on: July 11, 2010, 23:39 »
Planted these Autumn fruiters  last year in quite a shady spot because I thought they were "edge of forest" fruits. Didn't cut right down so have been getting a few fruits early. I expected them seedy and small but the taste is rather sour. The new (Autumn fruiting) canes are a bit weedy and floppy (heat?) but could all of this be caused by too little sunshine?
I haven't got any space left in full sun!!!

Trillium

Re: yellow raspberries
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:47 »
Unfortunately, they really are a full sun plant. Given lots of light, heat, water and manure, they're actually quite sweet. Looks like you'll have to sacrifice something to give the golds a proper sunny spot. ;)

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 23:49 »
Right! Racking my brain cell....That's it! I've got a patch (5'x2.5') in full sun where the chooks have destroyed my flowers having dust baths (they have to have one each) but they've moved under the trees now for their ablutions because it's so hot.
They don't damage my Polkas which are behind along the fence but I can fence them all in if necessary.
Next job (god, it's never ending....) is to move the straggly flower plants that have survived the scratching and prepare the bed (I WILL fence it off....chooks like my compost ) I'm sure a dozen rasps will fit in.
I assume I let the rasps flower this year (no buds yet and very weedy growth compared to the Polkas) and dig 'em up, cut right back and move 'em in the Autumn? Not advisable to move now?
You know....the edible garden is surreptitiously expanding....I KNEW this would happen!! ::)

Zippy

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 00:47 »
Someone gave me some rootstocks of yellow raspberries and the fruit is tasteless. they are going to be grubbed up for something more tasty in their place this autumn.

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 05:35 »
Thats a shame, we have golden raspberries and they are lovely and as an added bonus, the birds don't take them all. :D

xx
Yellow raspberries

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2017, 09:55
by Mr Dog
xx
Raspberries with yellow spots

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 13:11
by Ropster
xx
My raspberries have yellow leaves

Started by Primrose-Prickle on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 09:41
by Salmo
xx
Yellow leaves on raspberries

Started by Balhambird on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 23:40
by bonfire

Page created in 0.475 seconds with 28 queries.