old bush roots

• 5 Replies

evie2

old bush roots
« on: July 07, 2010, 12:40 »
Hello everyone, I need some advice. 

I have an area 25ft x 35ft in my back garden, it's been the children's play area and the chickens scratching ground but now they've grown up and the chickens live in an other part of the garden it's where we want to put our veg plot and poly tunnel. 
In the middle there were bushes which we cut down but the root system is still there.    The bushes have been there for about 40 years according to my neighbour.  Jules wants to burn them out but I'm not sure.
What's the best way to get rid of the roots?
Also how should I prepare the ground and where can I get more soil if needed?

Grace
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Re: old bush roots
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 13:50 »
Evie, how big were the bushes - knee high, head height, sky high? just to get some idea of how big the root systems may be. Jude.

evie2

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 16:00 »
They were 10 feet by about the same depth.  We cut them back to 3ft 2 years ago and thinned them out.  Haven't got a clue what they were; one had red stems/branches during the winter.  I think they were planted to hold that part of the garden up as the bit behind is a good 3/4ft lower.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 16:32 »
What you do depends on how much work you're willing to do. If you want raised beds, then you can simply cut the bush tops to just below ground level, top with soil and set up raised beds that are at least 18" high to compensate for lack of rooting space below ground.
If you plan to garden straight in the soil, then you'll need to dig out the majority of roots, of which there'll be many feeder roots going in every direction as there was a lot of competition for water. A pickaxe, strong shovel and back are needed, or simply hire in someone with a small digger. Whatever it costs will be worth the sheer force needed to clear a suitable depth.

You'll also need a plan to deal with the slope or you'll find your soil sailing south.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 17:24 »
A man with a digger would be ideal, but sadly can't get one into the garden.
I think we'll go with the raised beds idea and cut the bushes as far back as possible.  We'll have to get more soil though; any advice on where to go, we're in Nth Derbyshire.     

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 21:07 »
Bad luck on not being able to get a machine into the yard.

As for soil, I'm in Canada so wouldn't know a source. Hopefully someone else can suggest a place. Mostly it's garden centres that have soil sources, or possibly check your phonebook listings.

sad
Ivy roots

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 16:33
by RichardA
xx
Tree roots

Started by Babstreefern on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 18:37
by Wild Pony
xx
Eucalyptus roots

Started by muckyboots on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2013, 08:26
by snowdrops
xx
conifer roots

Started by casper on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 19:18
by casper

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 28 queries.