To dig or not to dig?

• 8 Replies

Zippy

To dig or not to dig?
« on: June 25, 2007, 13:28 »
The previous plot owner to my new allotment sowed perrennial Rye Grass - they tell me it was because he was "turfed off" and he did it to be vindictive! I think it may have been just to let the ground lie fallow and he was helping to lock nutrients in and keep other weeds out.

The problem is I have the legacy of a rough lawn to get rid of.

Considering it is approaching Autumn now, am I best to not bother digging, but lay a carpet of newspaper, then corrugated cardboard, then black plastic and lift it off next spring and let the worms do the job for me?

Another suggestion from a seasoned gardener was to double dig the whole plot and invert the turves. They will then die and feed the soil.

However, there may be just enough bare soil areas on the plot to get a few catch crops in before end of seeding season and just leave the grassy areas under a light excluding cover.

Why be digging when I could be building a shed and sowing a few seeds at this late stage?

The allotment is about 5minutes away so I could spend up to an hour every free evening.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 13:42 »
Don't forget, apart from catch crops there are things you can plant before next spring - Japanese onions, garlic, spring cabbage & califlower, to name a few. You may like to consider clearing a bit of ground, at least for these.

Welcome BTW - how's George, Bungle & Jeffrey?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 13:46 »
I'd try both routes.

Cardboard some (this certainly slows up/stops the grass - I did several areas last winter - cardboard covered in manure/compost and then planted potatoes & onions in spring - going great now.  A few little escaped bits of grass push through, but easily removed.)

Dig some the old way.  

& Compare the results!

Black membrane some too (least work of all at this stage) & leave ready to deal with when you have more energy!
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

yewtreemob

To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 14:11 »
You don't say how big your plot is but in any event nobody wants to double dig that much in the heat of the summer (if it ever stops raining!)

I would decide how much to dig now (that you can plant in 3 weeks time) and glyphosate that amount - double dig it in 2 weeks time with the turf at the bottom of the trench and plant up.

Cover the rest in carpet/plastic etc to suit your pocket or availability of materials.

Richard

fatbelly

Re: To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 14:18 »
Quote from: "Zippy"

Considering it is approaching Autumn now,

Hey I haven't even had my summer hols yet   :shock:

Ease back on the Autumn mentionings.   :)
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 21:21 »
We seem to wish the year away dont we, wish it was spring then before you know it the longest day just goes by and we are now planning for Autumn. Anyways back to the question, myself I dont like the no dig method, I am not saying it dont work, I just dont like it, as mentioned how big is the plot? and secondley how fit are you, no good digging if you got a football field and your pushing 90  :wink: , but on the other hand if your in good shape then what better way to stay in good shape and clear the land at the same time. Hello and welcome
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

diggerjoe

To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 13:11 »
Hi Zippy -I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do as well  -my plot is part dug over, but with all this rain i havn't managed to turn over the area that had the round up on it some time back. Problem is i have loads of plants to go in cabbage cauli etc . and no space ready What's everyone's thoughts on just covering the area with a membrane and use a bulb planter to take out a core of  soil fill in with a bit of compost and plant into the hole - my plants are looking really good and I'd hate to kill them off now :?  :?:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 13:45 »
One of the things that put me off using membranes was the fact the attract and house slugs/snails by the masses. They do work at keeping the weeds down tho, If you cant get the ground clear then use them and get your crops in, once established they should be ok.

Gwiz

To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 17:12 »
t'would be "round up" for myself.
let it die back, cover with somesorta membrane, get a bit ready for the autumn stuff, and don't forget the summer salads, turnips and the like, the hit the ground running winter time if you're gonna dig, or just leave under wraps if you're not.

ask a hundred gardeners the same question, get at least 90 different answers. :wink:  :lol:

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 30 queries.