Another tomato problem

• 13 Replies

Rhuby

Another tomato problem
« on: June 25, 2007, 16:43 »
My gardeners delight tomatos did not have a great start, they had the mottled leaf thing that someone else had on here. So I picked the affected ones off about a month ago.
So now my plants have stems which split and then join up again? also the leaves are distorted and a bit curled.
I cant find anything like it online, do you think I need to worry or should I destroy them?
Is it too late to grow more plants?
Organic

milkman

Another tomato problem
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 16:53 »
Don't destroy them - water and feed them and see what happens - you may be pleasantly surprised!  My experience is that tomatoes can put up with rather a lot of bad care and the ropiest looking plants often produce the tastiest tomatoes - Gardener's delight can grow very tall - mine were over 6 ft tall in the greenhouse last year - so make sure they are well supported up canes or strings.

My tom plants are currently snivelling - stuck in pots, side shoots all over the place, long since ready to be planted out into the greenhouse soil which hasn't been cleared properly from last year's crop, hasn't been composted etc etc. but I'm not gonna get hung up about it.  When I get 5 seconds I will plant them all out, water them in well, give the soil a good mulch with comfrey and compost topped with straw and then see what happens!

As I think I've mentioned on another post - think less about how brilliant or otherwise your plants look, focus attention on the taste of your freshly picked produce - 'cause that's what really matters!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Another tomato problem
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 17:24 »
Provided the leaves are not diseased, leaf curl is nothing to worry about in tomatoes & is quite common.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Rhuby

Another tomato problem
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 14:23 »
thanks for your advice. But I think there is a problem. They are just not right. (they are supported with canes)

Ive tried putting up photos but as usual theyre too big, too frustrating to bother.

Today I've noticed that where I have taken the side shoots out, more shoots have formed on the leaf which is left. Very strange?

DD.

• Global Moderator
Another tomato problem
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 14:37 »
Quote from: "Rhuby"
thanks for your advice. But I think there is a problem. They are just not right. (they are supported with canes)

Ive tried putting up photos but as usual theyre too big, too frustrating to bother.

Today I've noticed that where I have taken the side shoots out, more shoots have formed on the leaf which is left. Very strange?

There shouldn't be a problem in putting up photos no matter what the file size. All you need is a photobucket account and the easy guide found on the welcome forum. HERE

It is quite common for more side shoots top be produced from where you already taken some out.

Rhuby

Another tomato problem
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 14:51 »
[/IMG]

Here you go(sorry I was being lazy)

DD.

• Global Moderator
Another tomato problem
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 14:56 »
Bit fuzzy, but can't see a lot wrong there. Look nice & sturdy but it's always difficult to judge without having a good poke at the plant itself!

Rhuby

Another tomato problem
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 14:57 »
So the rejoined gap in the stems is ok?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Another tomato problem
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 14:57 »
Have you really been growing tomatoes for 42 years Digger???  WOW!

DD.

• Global Moderator
Another tomato problem
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 15:02 »
Quote from: "Rhuby"
So the rejoined gap in the stems is ok?

Don't worry about it, looks like they've grafted themselves together!

And grannieannie - yes - even though I'm only a spritely 55, I was bought my first greenhouse aged 13 as my cacti had outgrown my bedroom and I had to put something in the space left. Moneymakers they were.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Another tomato problem
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 15:03 »
DD, can you answer this one, please  :oops:

What do I do when they reach the roof of the greenhouse?  My Goldstars are almost there, with 5-6 trusses (the bottom two have fruited), and the gardener's delight are a truss behind them.  I know I'm supposed to take the growing point out, but do I need to let all the flowers I want to keep fruit?  Or will the flowers fruit after I've done it?

I've got a tomato book, but it's American and outdoors based, so I thought I'd ask on here  :roll:

Rhuby

Another tomato problem
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 15:04 »
Ok thanks I shall keep you posted on how they turn out!

milkman

Another tomato problem
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 15:11 »
they look very healthy plants to me Rhuby!

DD.

• Global Moderator
Another tomato problem
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 15:41 »
Quote from: "ytyynycefn"
DD, can you answer this one, please  :oops:

What do I do when they reach the roof of the greenhouse?  My Goldstars are almost there, with 5-6 trusses (the bottom two have fruited), and the gardener's delight are a truss behind them.  I know I'm supposed to take the growing point out, but do I need to let all the flowers I want to keep fruit?  Or will the flowers fruit after I've done it?

I've got a tomato book, but it's American and outdoors based, so I thought I'd ask on here  :roll:

Take the top out, as you say. Even if they haven't bloomed yet, the remaining buds will flower & produce fruit. Be sure to have your green tomato chuntney recipes ready for the end of season though!

clip
Tomato problem

Started by ade1865 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2020, 11:32
by mumofstig
clip
Tomato Problem

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2021, 22:59
by Subversive_plot
xx
Tomato problem.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 21:19
by Lardman
xx
Tomato Problem

Started by M_Mike on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 21:46
by gobs

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 28 queries.