my hen has no feathers at the vent and stopped laying

• 6 Replies

cherylann

A few weeks ago i noticed 1 of my hens was being pecked by the others she lost her feathers around her vent and stopped laying (after laying 2 eggs coved in blood).  I sepeated another hen that was doing the pecking for a few days but noticed the other birds were vey inqusitive about her vent area so bought some 'anti peck' spray and sprayed her daily. I then let the flock back together but noticed that she was still being picked on by the others and they were not just pecking at the vent now bet any where and specially when she tryed to feed.  This time I kept her apart from the other 4.  
she still doesnt look any happier and i am very worried about her she just sits mostly and with her feathers all puffed out.

This morning I have noticed that the original bully is bleeding from the vent and layed a blooming egg AND the other 3 are pecking at her vent area and she is now cowering in a corner with feathers puffed out for protection... So I have now put the two ill birds togeter but really struggling as to what to do next
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 22:25 by cherylann »

pigeonpie

Re: my hen has no feathers at he vent and stopped laying
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 22:52 »
Hi,
I'm sure someone will be along with some more advice soon but in the meantime...  My first question would be why are they pecking each other?  Are they bored?  Do they have enough room to be able to get away from each other if there are arguments?  We've had problems with one of mine being pecked around the vent before but she was already bare there (they're ex battery hens) and as she had started to form the feathers the others decided they looked worth a peck at.  Luckily the girls free range around about an acre (and the occasional escape around the village!) so she had plenty of room to get away from the others and with the use of the anti pecking spray it soon stopped.  She's now feathering up nicely - it's only taken a year!!! 

cherylann

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 20:29 »
Thanks for replying...Although Im horrified to think it may have been because they dont have enough room.  I am moving at the weekend and because its to an open area with fields we had thought we could just let them roam there and lock them up at night...So HOPFULLY she will feel better soon
A happier chicken keeper  :)

pigeonpie

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 22:13 »
Of course, if they have lots more room you then have the associated worries of fox attacks, etc!  It's difficult to say if lack of space could be a problem without knowing how much room they're currently being kept in and I'm sure plenty of people keep chickens in restricted spaces with no problems.  My girls are ex battery hens and arrived looking similar to oven ready birds as they had plucked both their own and each other's feathers out of boredom and being cooped up in such a small space.  As I said, we've had problems with one of mine, Imelda.  She's one of the bolshiest chickens but has really struggled to re-grow her feathers since we've had them.  As her nice new feathers started to come through on her bum the others started to peck her.  Luckily she was able to run away and the only time we noticed it being a problem was when they were all crowding round us for food or attention and therefore in close proximity, the rest of the time they were so spread out I don't think it crossed their minds.  A couple of good douses with anti pecking spray seemed to do the trick and now when they're all crowded around they don't bother her at all.  Sadly chickens do seem to have a canabilistic streak and once there is a sign of blood they do act like feathery piranhas!  Good luck.

Sassy

Re: my hen has no feathers at the vent and stopped laying
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:36 »
Have you checked for lice in the vent area?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

cherylann

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 18:58 »
Yes I have checked when spaying with the 'anti peck'

I let them all out to the full extent of my garden today (as lack of space had been suggested as a potential problem), they seemed a lot happier and even after a while Camilla (the Poorly hen) seemed to join in for a little while.

This evening however, when i Came home, she is sat huddled in a corner on her own and her comb is very pale and I noticed this morning that her poo is green  :(

I have started them all on an oral worming treatment added to their water but had to coax Camilla to drink some at first

so still worried for her :unsure:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 19:00 by cherylann »

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 21:14 »

This evening however, when i Came home, she is sat huddled in a corner on her own and her comb is very pale and I noticed this morning that her poo is green  :(

I have started them all on an oral worming treatment added to their water but had to coax Camilla to drink some at first

so still worried for her :unsure:

Most people on here won't use wormers which are added to water but use fLUBENVET. I've used this and - unlike the other sort - you can be sure it will get rid of any worms.
Green poo might be from undereating. I separate my two smaller hens and give them pellets mixed with porridge (made with water) which they love and helps them put on weight. I'm sure they've had their fair share too! ;)

xx
losing feathers around her vent

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 15:54
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Poop on feathers around the vent.

Started by Newt on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 11:28
by Roughlee Handled
xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Not laying & creepies around vent - *UPDATE*

Started by henpecked on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 19:14
by peggyprice

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 36 queries.