single chicken

• 10 Replies

patandlaura

single chicken
« on: June 24, 2010, 11:20 »
One of our chickens died two nights ago, after finding and eating hellabore seeds.
We had let the pair of little white pet bantams the free range of our well stocked garden, which was obviously a mistake.
The other bird took no notice of the seeds which had scattered, so now she is on her own.

She is not showing any kind of illness but is moping around and is not interested in usual treats and is very quiet. I don't want to give her human emotions, but I think she is grieving. Now we have to decide risking getting another bird which might not be friends, or passing her onto our son who has four larger chickens.  He could house her separately in view of the others.
Any advice please?

Casey76

Re: single chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:56 »
Get two new chickens ;)

It is very sad for a chicken to be by herself.  It is difficult to introduce one bird at a time which is why I recommend 2.

Keep them separated at first (quarantine for two weeks to make sure any newcomers aren't harbouring anything nasty) and then you can pop the two new ones in with the old one at night when they are all sleepy.

I have never had any problems with bullying when doing this - just normal establishing the pecking order squabbles.

animartco

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:00 »
Hi. It is not really a good idea to introduce a singe chicken to a flock that are of different size and colour. Much better to get her another companion or two, and just watch out for poisonous plants. It is actually quite rare for a bird to poison itself. Try and make sure the new one is home bred free range, i'e sensible.

patandlaura

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 13:37 »
Thanks for your replies.

I was under the impression that birds wouldn't eat unsuitable plants, but I had dead headed these flower heads and of course the seeds scattered, while the birds were pecking around. 

One chicken attacked the fallen seeds as though they were treats, but the other ignored them.  I am presuming that they were the cause of death, as the day before there seemed to be nothing wrong with her.

Now to decide what to do.  She certainly looks sad all alone.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 15:48 »
i would definatley get her 2 more friends,      nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

grumpydad

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 16:01 »
we lost lots and ended up with one, she was going downhill quite quickly, so we got a few hybrids, best thing we ever did, she is back to her old self, and still top hen, they erally dont like being on their own.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 08:17 »
Get two more - you know you want to 8)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 12:10 »
Go on get 2 more. A chicken should not be on it's own.

patandlaura

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 14:47 »
Thinking about getting more chickens. In the meantime we can't decide if she is feeling broody or just missing her friend, or suffering in the hot weather. 

She is sitting in the shade, occasionally wandering around, and spending a lot of time in the coop. Not her usual perky self, and isn't running across to peck under the bird table which was their favourite spot.
From the 2 birds we were getting 10 or 11 eggs a week. If she is broody, won't there be any more eggs?  She laid one on Wednesday after the "funeral".

I have put a mirror in the run, hoping she might think she has company.

NormandyMary

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 17:29 »
I only have 3 girls left after a fox attack, I lost 6 including sisters of the remaining three. They are certainly not themselves, they are not talking, and they seem to have lost their spark. One is sitting on eggs, but the other two just loll around. Im sure that your poor little hen is feeling very alone and depressed. Please get her some new friends very soon. The longer I keep chooks, the more I realise that they are sensitive creatures.

patandlaura

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 18:10 »
That sounds very sad, losing 6!
We have taken so many precautions against foxes, and still got a young cub in the garden last week. It had difficulty scrambling up a fence to get out when it was chased, and we have nets around and an electric sounder.

We thought that the fox was the main worry so we only let our birds out around the garden when we were out with them.
 Letting them help us with the gardening was not a good idea in our case! 

I am thinking I will stick to growing plants, and visit people with chickens for my "bird fix".

xx
Single duckling

Started by Cleo on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 19:32
by Kate and her Ducks
question
Every single one, she squashes!!!!

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 20:10
by Kazoo
xx
Electric hen and single chick

Started by gsc on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 09:36
by gsc
xx
raising a single chick

Started by cheshirecat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 00:13
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 29 queries.