Every single one, she squashes!!!!

• 9 Replies

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
Every single one, she squashes!!!!
« on: February 16, 2009, 14:31 »
One of my Ranger hens, lays an egg every day. And every single egg she has laid has been soft and so she squashes it. We have had her for just under a year now and have tried all sorts. She has a good varied diet incuding grit in her coup. Our black rock is as hard as a rock excuse the punn! and she has laid near enough every day. We have just bought to new ones so all being well we will get a nice trio of eggs instead of a measley one aday! Does anyone know if 'Gloria' will ever lay a hard egg??? (She is so lovely though that we really don't mind) Thanks 
Live, Love and Laugh!

Vember

Re: Every single one, she squashes!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 14:41 »
Hi Hen :)

Welcome to the Hen House :D

It might be worth getting some Limestone powder for extra calcium and mixing it with her feed.
You can get it from most horse feed shops as I think it's given to foals normally?

Mix a couple of teaspoons per kilo of feed and hopefully she'll improve :)

Sarah :)

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 14:43 »
It maybe she hasn't got enough calcium to produce hard shells. Or somehow she is not utilising her calcium levels effectively. You mention grit, what sort is it? Do you have crushed oyster shell as well? This is a good form of calcium. To help absorption  mix a teaspoon of cod liver oil mixed into feed. If after a month this has no effect I would imagine there is not a lot you can do and observe her carefully as she will be prone to laying problems so not too many treats! :D
If she has simply just come into lay(this season) -she may need a couple of weeks to get into the swing of things. Also has she been wormed lately? If they are free ranging this is a good year to worm before temperatures reach a more constant 10degrees or above.
Apple Cider Vinegar would be a good tonic which will help her digestive system keep in tip top conditon and may improve her absorption of nutrients and minerals from her diet.

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 14:53 »
Many thanks, we have oyster shell in her grit and we have tried her with cod lliver oil mixed in her food.  We also add a drop of cider vinegar too! I think now she is a no hoper but it is such a pain to clear her squashed eggs every day. Oh well thanks for advice. This is by the way an excellent site have read some of your comments, very useful in deed. Its nice to know where we can come if we have any problems with our girls!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 14:57 »
I'm sure I read somewhere that if you've tried everything and they're still soft, it could be genetic.
I suppose the thing to do would be just to keep an eye on her and make sure that she's still laying them - because soft shells could break inside her.
Othe than that, I don't think there's a lot you can do.
Maybe she thinks she's trying to be helpful and laying ready scrambled ones will save you time in the kitchen!
 :lol:

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 15:02 »
Thanks, we have read that it can be genetic. Typical of us, i think it must be. Anyway thankfully her personality overides that fact that we get nothing to eat from the little miss. :)
I love this site! i cant get any house work done!

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 15:05 »
oh sorry Sarah! Didn't see your post  :blink: saw the review post message and thought it would be underneath my preview.....

Vember

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 15:07 »
 :tongue2: No worries Foxy :D

Sarah :)

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 18:27 »
There are two main dangers here. The one already mentioned viz a viz the danger of egg binding or egg breaking which could lead to egg peritonitis. The other danger with broken eggs is the possibility of encouraging egg eating. This is a learned trait passed from hen to hen. Once they get the taste for eggs you may never see another.

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 20:10 »
Hi Hen

I had this problem with one of my black rocks last year, I used limestone flour as you have been recommended, it worked!! It took months and you have to be careful that you don't overfeed it (i fed my girl separately with the limestone flour mixed in to her feed only, she soon  got used to lour one one to lone feeding sessions!)  Just don't lose heart as I am sure this was the cure for us, as I say it took months (3-4) but she is laying like a good un now.

xx
Single duckling

Started by Cleo on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 19:32
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
single chicken

Started by patandlaura on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 18:10
by patandlaura
xx
Electric hen and single chick

Started by gsc on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 09:36
by gsc
xx
raising a single chick

Started by cheshirecat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 00:13
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 36 queries.