raising a single chick

• 2 Replies

cheshirecat

raising a single chick
« on: July 18, 2009, 23:07 »
Hello out there, i'm new to forums and new to keepin chickens.  Have had Gerty, Daisy an Dolly, warrens, for nearly 3 months.  Also have lovely Plymouth Rock called Grace who has just started laying.  the warrens have had colds and have not laid for nearly two weeks. 
Also need some advice re single araucana chick I am raising (did have two but one died) Solo is now 6 weeks old and has been living in a large guinea pig cage with a mirror and teddy for company.  It has just learned to roost on a perch and is eatin, pooing and growing.  I am a little confused about when I take Solo off chick crumbs and put it on layer pellets?  When can it go outside in its own coop and run permanently?  If I can manage to post a photo will someone be able to give me some idea of Solo's sex?  If it is a girl I will get it a friend, if a cockerel I have a home for it to go to.  Sorry to be so long winded! 
Max.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: raising a single chick
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 23:13 »
Hi cheshirecat and welcome,
at 6 weeks you can change solo onto rearers (sometimes called growers) pellets now.
Staffies are softer than you think.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: raising a single chick
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 00:13 »
Hello out there, i'm new to forums and new to keepin chickens.  Have had Gerty, Daisy an Dolly, warrens, for nearly 3 months.  Also have lovely Plymouth Rock called Grace who has just started laying.  the warrens have had colds and have not laid for nearly two weeks. 
Also need some advice re single araucana chick I am raising (did have two but one died) Solo is now 6 weeks old and has been living in a large guinea pig cage with a mirror and teddy for company.  It has just learned to roost on a perch and is eatin, pooing and growing.  I am a little confused about when I take Solo off chick crumbs and put it on layer pellets?  When can it go outside in its own coop and run permanently?  If I can manage to post a photo will someone be able to give me some idea of Solo's sex?  If it is a girl I will get it a friend, if a cockerel I have a home for it to go to.  Sorry to be so long winded! 

Hi there cheshirecat! I have raised a few aruacanas and will have a go at sexing for you!. at 6 weeks ther should be no comb at all in the hen but some small lumps in the cockerel!
agree with joyfull that baby could go onto growers/rearers pellet now till its 15-17 weeks old then it can go onto layers!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
Electric hen and single chick

Started by gsc on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 09:36
by gsc
xx
grower pellets for single chick

Started by cheshirecat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 14:58
by cheshirecat
xx
Single duckling

Started by Cleo on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 19:32
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
single chicken

Started by patandlaura on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 18:10
by patandlaura

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 29 queries.