Watering

• 35 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Watering
« on: June 22, 2010, 22:35 »
How often should you water your veg and at what times of the day especially in this heat.

Ma x

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
Re: Watering
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 22:38 »
First thing in morning or last thing at night is best I believe.  If watering during day, make sure not to get on leaves or risk scorching.  Also, I reckon a lot evapourates if you water during the day in this heat.  Only drawback to watering at night is that it attracts slugs.  And if your unlucky to live where we do, the midges - been eaten alive tonight  >:(

Watering every night here, its been the best June I can remember for a long time, but very very dry.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 22:41 »
Pots may need watering more than once a day, particularly those in sun / wind / relatively small / growing plants like tomatoes.  

For soil-grown plants, avoid frequent shallow watering and focus on more infrequent but heavier watering.  Not all plants will need watering.

It is recommended to avoid watering in the heat of the day, to minimise evaporation and scorch risk.  However, if the plant is already wilting then water immediately rather than delay until a better time.  

As regards choice between evening and morning, I personally prefer evening as it fits my routine better, and gives the chance for the water to penetrate the soil overnight when it's cooler.  However, someone else pointed out that the humidity would be higher overnight after later watering, whcih raises the risk of fungal spores flourishing.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 22:52 »
Just to add to the above, never ever water from above as that is what causes the majority of problems. Always water from below the plants or leave a hose running below them for a short while before moving to another area. If they get a good soaking then they won't need redoing for a few days. I'd almost suggest mulch to retain moisture but it depends on your own slug problems.

Ma Lowe

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 22:56 »
Many thanks for your quick responses.  :happy:

I have been watering in the morning and in the evening  but the odd time I watered in the middle of the day and didn't know if this was right.
I will now stick to mornings and evenings.

I didn't know about the watering from above Trillium so thank you for that will make sure I water below the plants.

what is best to use as a mulch?

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 23:01 »
I prefer straw as mulch myself - it's usually easy to get, cheap and rough on slugs. Pile it thick as it will pack down a bit when wetted but not touching stems as it could start rotting the stem. Not only will it keep the soil damp, it will suppress a lot of weeds.

Ma Lowe

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 23:13 »
Thank you  :happy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 01:23 »
Not sure just how dry it is where you are or what your soil is like (free draining/sandy or water retaining or clay) but this can make a difference to just how often you need to water.

Too much watering can sometimes inhibit a plants efforts to develop a good root system so it is often a bit of a balancing act... with some plants needing more water than others.

Mulching is a good way to reduce the need for very frequent watering of some crops - I use grass mowings sometimes after a good soaking then leave the plants to it for a while. (I try to keep this away from the stems though).

I guess watering is something we learn to judge for each crop to match weather conditions to water needs and the type of ground you are growing on.

In short - play it by ear!!  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 07:51 »
I often have the argument about when to water with "she who must be obeyed".

My argument is that you can see farmers watering their crops throughout the day with those huge sprayers, so it can't do much harm to water during the day, can it? After all, if anyone should know how to grow crops in the best way, it's farmers.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

Ma Lowe

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 08:12 »
True Willowman.

Yesterday morning went to water but the ground was still wet from watering the night before so I didn't bother bet that was wrong  ::).

I gave a good watering last night but wonder if I should just water anyway this morning or do the same as yesterday if the ground is damp.

Any thoughts?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 08:56 »
first you need to see if you plants actually need waterin........

push your finger into the soil a couple of inches...if the soil is dark/damp at this level then there is no need to water at all...except for seedlings and recent transplants :)

If you water a little everyday it is not good for the plants, as they will grow roots near the surface, rather than the deeper roots that they need

diggerjoe

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 09:24 »
I have only been watering plants that have recently gone in and seedlings. I do not have enough hours in the evening to water the potatoes although I have a volunteer for saturday so they will get a really good soaking with the two of us with two cans each working a relay. All the established plants just have to get in with it.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 23:55 »
I have only been watering plants that have recently gone in and seedlings. I do not have enough hours in the evening to water the potatoes although I have a volunteer for saturday so they will get a really good soaking with the two of us with two cans each working a relay. All the established plants just have to get in with it.

Good for you.... sounds sensible to me.

Try a mulch - it'll help keep the moisture in the ground after that much needed soaking  ;)

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 08:23 »
like they say dont just assume that because the weather has been dry that the crops need watering, i have only been watering 2 things at the allotment, my squashes and my cucumbers. everything is growning just fine, ok the potatoes yeild might be improved slightly by watering but we cant use hose pipes so i dont think its worth the time and effort

diggerjoe

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 09:29 »
Good advice Learner -I've a kind friend who is delivering a bale of straw for mulching the potatoes on saturday I just hope its an oldfashioned oblong one and not one of the huge rolls :ohmy: I would be mulching the entire site with that :D :D

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Watering

Started by MrsG on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2020, 17:08
by jambop
xx
watering

Started by Lightlady on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 19:32
by Stripey_cat
xx
How much watering do you do ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 21:13
by Babstreefern

Page created in 0.594 seconds with 30 queries.