Potatoes

• 15 Replies

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
Potatoes
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:21 »
I was starting to get a bit concerned because my first ever potato plants are now at about three foot high and still not flowering.  I furtled (learnt that great word here) this morning, and pulled out six beautiful spuds.  I've boiled them and they taste fantastic (I think they are charlottes, the seed potatoes only cost me 50p from B&Q).  So, a few questions: 

1. Do I dig them up as I want them, or do I dig them all up at once? 
2. What exactly do I dig up and remove to make sure the bed is disease free for next plantings? 
3. Can I plant some purple sprouting broccoli in their place as soon as they are dug up (they are raised beds)

So many questions! :blush:

potatoes.jpg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:48 »
Dig them up as you want them. They will get bigger, but immature spuds won't store for very long. Had some the other year that were baked spud size & they were still delicious cooked in their jackets.

Dig everything up. Make sure you get every last spud, no matter how small. (This never happens in reality!).

Yup - get yer sprouters in.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Livinhope

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:26 »
I've come to the conclusion from reading on here and listening to other plot holders that it doesn't pay to buy expensive seed potatoes.  You bought from B & Q my neighbour bought his from Wilkinsons, I bought from seed merchant (expensive).  Neighbour has fantastic spuds, as yours, mine are pathetic.  It's cheapies for me next year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:28 »
At the end of the day, certified seed spuds come from the same sources.

The only difference between Wilco's & T & M is the mark up & postage.

Livinhope

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:34 »
It's taken a while but I've come to that conclusion too.  I shall be hunting for cheaper seeds for next years plantings. ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:37 »
The only difference is the choice of varieties stocked, as Wilko tends to sell the old favourites  :)

No problem for me as they are the ones I choose anyway :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:01 »
Have a look to see if there's a independant nursery near you. Mine are as cheap as Wilco's but offer the choice of up to 90 varieties.

Have a check on this thread to see if there's one already noted near you:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=49027.0

Livinhope

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 12:13 »
That's okay, I much prefer the old varieties, as long as they have King Edwards, Maris and Arran I should be okay.

argaric

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 14:03 »
Also (for next year) watch out for events in your area in National Potatoe Week.
For the last three years we have local events with 100+ varieties and you can buy single spuds.
I choose four or five new types each year to try along with the old favourites bought from Wilkos etc.

Regards,
  Argaric

Livinhope

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 15:27 »
We have a brilliant local potato fest near me and every year I miss it because it isn't given a lot of local publicity.  Thanks for reminding me, any idea when they are held roughly.

Redgoat

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 00:48 »
I get my seed potatoes from homebase. No complaints so far :D

plopleuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 07:58 »
do none of you save some for seed from this seasons crop?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 08:26 »
This is generally not a good idea as disease is carried over from one years crop to the next in the saved potato.
IMO Certified seed potatoes are cheap enough, if you buy them locally, that you do not have to take the risk.

diggerjoe

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 11:52 »
Mine this year from potato day locally and the ones causeing much discussion on the plot are the blue danube - the leaves are really dark green and the flowers  worthy of the border at home ,a real deep purple, they stand out aginst all the others.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 12:30 »
Purple sprouting broccoli can go in after potatoes, but make sure you firm the soil well around the baby plants - this is a must for all brassicas.  Purple sprouting grow quite tall as well and can suffer from wind rock later in the year if not planted firmly.  I also cut 4 inch squares of carpet underlay, make a hole in the middle to fit round the stem, snip one side to the middle and pop round each plant - this is supposed to deter cabbage root fly and I have never had a problem with it, so I guess it works :)

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
potatoes

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2016, 17:21
by Salmo

Page created in 0.872 seconds with 38 queries.