Squash Mulch?

• 4 Replies

MoreWhisky

Squash Mulch?
« on: June 14, 2010, 20:05 »
As ive given lots of plot room this yr to winter squashes. So i thought i better use a mulch round them , i think :unsure: As my butternuts split last yr.

So any mulch advice for squashes would be helpfull. I do have a bin for of leaves rotting down and can get grass cuttings which ones do you think would be best? or some other mulch?

Ive got a bit carried away and got 3 or 4 each of these  :D Hooligans,Festivals,Blue Hubbards and   Uchili Kuri so really need to get these right.

Thanks   :)

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

MoreWhisky

Re: Squash Mulch?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 20:38 »
Just done some looking about and 'heavy black plastic'  came up thought i would share what ive found, does anybody use this ?

Because different vegetables grow in distinct ways, the mulch you choose should provide for just that sort of growth. For instance, black plastic is the best mulch for melons, cucumbers, squash and peppers specifically because of how they grow. The mulch keeps soil temperatures high, enhances bacterial activity in the soil and is impermeable to carbon dioxide. Therefore, the carbon dioxide only escapes through the same small slits in the plastic that the plants are growing through creating thick concentrations of the gas at the base of the plants and causing them to grow faster and larger. Other organic mulches can produce relatively the same affects though they might take more ongoing effort to maintain throughout the growth season. Moreover, these organic mulches must be replaced every one to two years while heavy duty plastic can cut down on these yearly workloads, making it one of the best mulches available for certain kinds of vegetable gardens.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 22:36 »
I use heavy duty sheet mulch  :)  I also mulch with straw, grass mowings, and spent Hemcore which comes complete with hen poo. I keep this away from the stems of the squash though.  I have grown my squashes through sheet mulch and they were fine, but most have big, big leaves so sort of suppress weeds on their own  :)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 23:31 »
I grow the Kuri myself and also find the huge leaves suppress most weeds, but I like to put straw under the fruit themselves so they don't get any mold from soil and they stay nicer.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:06 »
Yes, I forgot that. You have to put something under your burgeoning fruit to keep them raised off the ground a bit. I use one of those blue veggie baskets. An upturned dinner plate will also suffice

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Pet hay as a mulch

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 15:54
by bazh
xx
Mulch

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2020, 13:08
by juvenal
xx
can i use mulch for.............................................?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 11:08
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.581 seconds with 36 queries.