Mulch

• 5 Replies

Jd1980

Mulch
« on: May 19, 2020, 07:50 »
Hi

Under advice I just mulched my corn plants.

What other veg needs mulching?

Any links to a list of what to mulch /with what / when ?

Cheers

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Mulch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 08:23 »
I only mulch, or mound up with earth, my corn plants if they start to grow roots from the bottom of the stems (adventitious roots) it gives them more support if it is windy.
The only other thing that gets mulched, here, would be potatoes when they can't get earthed up any more and potatoes start to show on the surface. Then I tend to use grass cuttings from the allotment paths.
Can't think of anything else atm.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 09:42 »
I am a great fan of mulching and have a schedule  :D

Early spring : Apple Tree, raspberries, gooseberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants

Spring: Blueberries (pine needles or leafmold), rhubarb (just before buds break in to full growth) and Rose (immediately after spring feed)

I produce lots of compost which is ideal. It improves the soil condition , suppresses weeds and retains the moisture or so I tell myself!

al78

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 11:52 »
What do you use for mulch? I haven't got anything on site apart from bags of oak leaves collected in autumn.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 12:20 »
What do you use for mulch? I haven't got anything on site apart from bags of oak leaves collected in autumn.

I make lots of garden compost; nothing gets thrown in the council bin!

I use the compost to grow my potatoes in bags. Once the potatoes have been dug up I plant PSB in them. Once the PSB has finished in spring I have bags and bags of beautiful compost which has nurtured potatoes and PSB and is now ready to mulch the fruit and veg  :D

I also sometimes use Strulch@ which is fantastic stuff but £££. I put slug pellets on my potato bags and then put Strulch over the top so the birds cant get to them and the potatoes stay weed free. Once the potatoes are dug I reuse the Strulch around some of the plants in my borders to suppress weeds, make them look good and improve the soil which is clay.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 13:08 »
I mulch outdoor tomato plants with wood chippings, then dig them in at the end of the season. Grass cuttings get used. If nothing else, mulch conserves moisture.

xx
Best Mulch

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2021, 22:39
by muckyboots
xx
Mulch

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 02, 2020, 22:53
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
what mulch are you using?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 18:16
by archies plot
xx
Pet hay as a mulch

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 15:54
by bazh

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 36 queries.