Rhubarb 1st year

• 8 Replies

morverngirl

Rhubarb 1st year
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:55 »
Planted rhubarb this year in my raised bed, looks great and healthy with lots of sticks,I know I can't use them this year but do I leave everything to die down naturally or do i cut the sticks/leaves off and if so when. Thanks great site.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Rhubarb 1st year
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:22 »
Leave it, and when died down, give it a good mulching with manure.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 18:00 »
I might get shot down for this but if you have lots of growth you'll be OK to take 1 or 2 stick. Treat yerself, :)  then let it die down and mulch well. I did this last yr with my two crowns which have come huge this yr.
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 19:32 »

These are first year Rhubarb plants. Tomorrow I will advise the client to take a few stems. :D

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 20:28 »
Interesting.

My two Timperley Early, planted last Autumn, are now bigger than the plants that were on the site when I took it over. It's very difficult to resist the temptation to remove a couple of sticks - they look so good.

Maybe I'll take just a couple?  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 21:45 »
Plants are only plants, and humans are only human! (Who hasn't "tidied up" a first year asparagus spear or a couple of rhubarb stalks which seemed to be making the rest of the plant look untidy?!)   ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Coop-a-Cabana

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 22:34 »
Hi just to add i have three rhubarb plants which are in their third year. in the first year they grew huge and i have to admit i pulled more than one or two sticks off each plant.  It didn't have any effect on them the following year and now keep all my neighbours, family and work colleagues supplied with rhubarb and also have enough to freeze as well.  So in my very humble inexperience opinion go on tuck in :D

morverngirl

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 10:28 »
Thanks for response, I thought it must be poisonous or something in the first year when I read not to use, can anyone tell me why I shouldn't use it-is it like asparagus ,needing energy or something, like to know reasons why and then i understand and it helps my decision making

noshed

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:00 »
It just needs to get established before you start pulling it. Mine has been huge this year - mainly because I mulched it thickly with rotted manure and compost over the winter. So leave it alone this year, give it a good mulching when it has died down and it will be grand next year.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
How is your rhubarb this year?

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 10:17
by Pompey Spud
xx
First Year Rhubarb

Started by Christo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 10:02
by parttimer
xx
Just had my first Rhubarb of the year

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 23:31
by Kristen
xx
First Year Rhubarb

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 22:09
by Mark's Sussex Allotment

Page created in 0.633 seconds with 29 queries.