How is your rhubarb this year?

• 33 Replies

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
How is your rhubarb this year?
« on: June 24, 2011, 19:54 »
After years of growing rhubarb well, it is not looking good this year.
It is poor in the garden, lottie, parents garden, in fact everywhere I look. Has anyone got any good rhubarb just now, or is it just that our area has problems?
I think it must be the weather.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: How is your rhubarb this year?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 19:56 »
Mines been terrible too - hardly had anything worthwhile

It started well and took some decent amounts but since we had the really dry spell that seems to have done it in - i did throw a good amount over it every time i was leaving the plot

See how it looks next year i guess?

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 20:08 »
Yeah not good either.

Last year husband decided to tidy up garden by pulling all the leaves off it before it had had a chance to refuel for this year. Also chickens seem to be scratching all the leaves that are low down.

Combined with the dry patch it was not great. Had lovely forced rhubarb early on but rest was a bit thin.

Bev

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 20:11 »
Mrs Digger's very very early variety was fine, then we got the dry spell - mine was rubbish.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 20:31 »
Yep, same here - good until the dry weather took hold, then they stopped growing. They're starting to throw up some new shoots now, so I may get some more to eat before the normal end of season.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 20:33 »
Yep, same here - good until the dry weather took hold, then they stopped growing. They're starting to throw up some new shoots now, so I may get some more to eat before the normal end of season.

tbh i noticed mine doing this as well today, presume the recent wetter weather has put them in action - when are you meant to pick them till?

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 20:43 »
The crowns I moved a couple of years ago are going great guns, and the one on my plot is good too. I've done nothing to them other than make sure they got a good manuring in the autumn. We had no significant rain until last wwek from March, so I'm pleased and surprised at the same time.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 20:58 »
From 3 crowns I've picked 7 stalks.

Had more flowers stems than leaves, when the wind picked up it shredded everything, they look to just about be recovering. Bit of a none starter this year.

superluke2

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 21:12 »
Very tasty thank you. been a good crop due to the lousy weather!!!

Spana

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 21:14 »
Mine looks  terrible too.   :(

I've been blaming OH  :blush: He did a bit of dock spraying in the fields and I accused him of letting the spray drift.  Perhaps I'd better apologize ::)

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 21:51 »
The old stock,been on the allotment for years,must be deep rooted,has been appalling......looks like the pheasants have been frollicking in it,leaves all mangled and smashed down,I suspect its more the windy dry weather,although I have seen the birds sitting on them!
My newly planted rhubarb grown from seed 2 years ago,some have died ,others all bitten and threadbare....some kind of beetle and also mole interference.

The best rhubarb is at home in big pots,in a sheltered position by the garage wall,watered every day. I`m glad I didn`t put all my eggs in one basket!  :)

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 08:35 »
Mine did well until the dry spell and then wilted. Watered it well a few times and it has come back with avengance.

Regards, WG

Nige2Plots

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:49 »
Mine did quite well despite the dry weather. In saying that I did apply a deep layer of manure around the crown which I suppose acted as a mulch!

RsT

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 09:02 »
Both crowns on their second year, one shop brought one freegle, both did very badly!
Got more growth last year than this, that said over the last week or two they are sprouting a few fresh leaves.
Fingers crossed for next year.

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 09:52 »
One plant is doing fantastically well, two others were producing only a few, thin stalks.  I decided that my rhubarb bed was too crowded, and I'm not a big rhubarb eater at the best of times, so I took out the two unproductive plants and kept the one that was flourishing.

The plant is at least five years old and is encroaching on the asparagus bed, so at the end of the year I will probably dig it up, divide the root and move it to the less crowded end of the plot.

xx
1st year rhubarb

Started by GWR on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2017, 21:16
by GWR
xx
First Year Rhubarb

Started by Christo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 10:02
by parttimer
xx
second year rhubarb

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 00:06
by Dan78
xx
Just had my first Rhubarb of the year

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 23:31
by Kristen

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 36 queries.