Please can anyone help I have a very unwell 4 day old chick?

• 3 Replies

Natasha2810

Hi there,

I was hoping that someone on here could give me a bit of advice about my four day old pekin bantam chick.

It had a small amount of feces stuck to it so I picked it up to try and get it off and noticed that it's rectum is hugely enlarged and looks very sore I managed to gently remove the stuck on feces but it still looks much more enlarged and sore than the other chicks.

Can anyone tell me what this might be and how I can help the chick should I take it to the vet?

As you can tell I'm rather inexperienced with chickens so any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Natasha

lisa80

Hi it might have a bit of a back log of poo if its been completly blocked for a little while i would give it a gentle wipe with some warm water and cotton wool to try to encourage it to pass any poo thats still up there it should pass it pretty soon after you unblocked it.I have had a chick in the past that had a large lump develop near its bottom that looked like it was a hernia unfortunatly it didnt make it ,the vets is an option but not sure what they could do unless its some sort of infection ,a phone consultation might be a good idea if you know a vet thats good with poultry.hope all goes well for you  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
it sounds like pastey bum, you must keep this area clean otherwise it can kill the chick, gently pick the pooh off or if too difficult then soften and remove. Often when picking the pooh off you will pull out a few fluffy bits but don't worry the feathers will soon grow.
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
sometimes if I have a chick with pasty bum, when I gently pull off the bit of poo, its little bum does look a bit enlarged, but could that be because of just having some poo pulled off it's bum?  Seems cruel to just pull the poo off, but its better than trying to wash it off and risking the chick getting a chill, and yes, little bits of fluff do come off too, but that make the bum a clearer area for the next poops!

Just keep an eye on it, see if it gets any bigger!

xx
Unwell hen

Started by Beano on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 13:27
by Beano
xx
Unwell hen

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 17:49
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bluebell's unwell

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 18:48
by hillfooter
xx
unwell chook

Started by Nina 77 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 11:05
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 31 queries.