Broody season!

• 26 Replies

pinkladies

Re: Broody season!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 20:12 »
Hi , thanks ,new shoot, I read these pages alot for information as this is still my first full year with the girls so I`m still learning. Its so funny to see the broody hen all fluffed up but also such a worry that  she may not be  looking after herself. So far I have managed to make sure she leaves the coop enough to eat and drink ( but I am worried I might stress her ) but she`s not realy that interested in food, even mealworms which for her is worrying!.She has completely plucked the feathers from her breast and I have even noticed she gathers up the eggs from my other 5 girls as soon as they have laid and puts them under herself,,amazing!!any idea how long this could go on for and could this behavour make my other ladies broody.....so many qiestions......so worried.......

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 12:31 »
I would remove the eggs as soon as you can because that will just spur her one and yes, broodiness does seem to be catching, so watch the others.

Ignore the fuss when you move her off the nest.  They do holler and chuck chuck at you in a most annoyed way, but they are fine and soon accept being shut out and start looking for food, dust bathing and preening.  She will be more stressed if she gets dehydrated or starved.

Mine are bantams so they can go broody for weeks on end, but post what breeds you have and if I don't have any answers for you, there's loads of experts on here who can help with advice or just a sounding board to reassure you.

Hawkins

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 16:56 »
I had just got over the black rock being broody and now my speckeldy has gone broody and no amount of throwing her out of the coop breaks it. Ill be getting a small dog cage soon to sort her out as she supsetting everyone.

I never had this trouble with the ex-bats. BROODYS  :tongue2:
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

carolbriar

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 17:25 »
I am very glad to say my buff rock is now coming out of being broody.  I shut her out of the house from 11am yesterday as all had laid by then and she seemed much more settled.  She was slower to rush back in once I opened the pop hole in the evening aswell.  This morning she came out on her own but did go back in.  I was out all day and on our return late this afternoon she was out of her own accord and was dust bathing.  She has just made a racket to say she was about to or has just laid an egg.  Probably a false alarm!  Her comb looks much redder today - mixed in with purple!  I thought she might have a fungal infection on her comb as it looked like a white powder on it.  Sprayed it with the purple anti bacterial and anti fungal spray.  She looks like a punk rocker at the moment. :) I am so glad she is getting back to her normal self :D
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Hawkins

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 17:52 »
may be a silly question but I havent locked them out of the coop as yet as they like to lay on the floor and rest in there (its a big 10 X 8 shed converted). they have plenty of shade from trees and they can go in the duck house. Do you think they will be okay to shut the shed up or will the broody just go in the duck house and grump.

My chickens also seem to lay anytime of day.

carolbriar

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 18:19 »
Hi Hawkins
If there is a shady area under trees for them to get out of the heat I don't see why you can't shut them out of the coop.  There would certainly be no harm in trying.  Mine laid at different times but at the moment they are mostly laying in the morning (I only have 3 laying at the moment).  As soon as they had laid I shut them out of the coop.  If I went into the run before the others had laid I would always lift the broody out - she usually went straight back in once I left mind you.  Hope yours comes out of being broody soon. :)

Hawkins

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 18:22 »
Thanks carolbriar Ill try that tomorrow. Ive only got one broody out of 12 but 6 of them are ornamental ex-bats. They look lovely but dont lay anymore. ;)

TeaPots

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 20:21 »
I have more broody than laying too!  Would love to stick some eggs under 1 or 2, but I have run out of space  >:(   I only have my quarantine pen empty, and I really dont like to use that, cos thats the top way to get a sick bird  :lol:  so long as I have a quarantine, i wont need it! :tongue2:

Hawkins

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 22:46 »
Locked my broody out of the shed today and after a while she settled back down and chilled with the others. Wil do this again for the next few days untill she is back to normal.

Then fingers crossed nothing else goes broody.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 22:18 »
I have a banty who has gone broody and laying eggs too quickly so I've had a couple of soft shells. This morning she was laying on one of the others eggs with her own to one side so I lifted her out and took the eggs away. She had her food and then straight back to the nestbox. Once all had laid I took her out again and shut the coop off - she was cross! The odd thing was she pecked at two of the others on their necks a few times so they stayed out of her way. I think I may try the cold wash treatment tomorrow if it goes on, or the ice pack wrapped in a cloth. Good luck to everyone - I find it quite distressing to watch, so I guess you all do too.

carolbriar

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 09:10 »
I found it very distressing - I thought she was ill to begin with.  She wasn't sitting on any eggs but would not leave the nest box.  Thankfully she is now back to normal but hasn't laid yet.  I thought the idea of an ice pack wrapped in a towel or something sounded a great idea.  Will probably try that if any of my others go broody.  Having said that, locking them out of the coop once the others had laid worked over a period of time.

Hawkins

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 22:22 »
OMG im going to cry no sonner had we shut dotty out of the shed and broken her broody cycle. Katie has gone broody again. Only started today so I have borrowed a friends dog cage and she is going in it tomorrow. I cant just shut the coop door on this one and keep her out as she jumps the electric fencing and likes to go broody up on top of the hay bales really close to the roof where it is boling hot.   

Silly chickens.

xx
Broody Hen Day 16

Started by Chicken star on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 22:23
by Chicken star
xx
Is she broody?

Started by Tigerwren on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 15:22
by Tigerwren
xx
Broody Hen??

Started by Franceska on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 14:26
by ANHBUC
xx
Broody again!

Started by chuckmum on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 18:05
by chuckmum

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 30 queries.