Broody season!

• 26 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Broody season!
« on: June 10, 2010, 21:56 »
Started with 1 little Dottie bantam nesting...............now got 2 Dotties nesting and my Yokohama who is 5 now and should be past that sort of thing  ::)

Tonight found 3 crammed in 1 nestbox and the 4th parked just outside it  :mad:  Kicked them out for some food and water to great annoyance and several pecked fingers. Despite a stern talking to they all went straight back to nesting the minute I opened the house back up.   

If it carries on like this I will be shamed into buying eggs  :blush:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Broody season!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 22:14 »
I've got 11 broody hens at the moment!  Luckily they are not all in the same nest box!  :D

But is brought my daily egg supply down from 30 to about 10!

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 23:03 »
I have one who has been broody for the last 3 weeks and will sit in the coop if given the chance but shake the corn box and she comes running.  Another has just started so I have started putting them in water which cause lots of complaining.  The first is getting her comb back and it is redder so hopefully she will start laying again .

Pretty Chick

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 06:55 »
I've got two broodies at the moment  :).
All lives are precious.

sarah f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:00 »
have all 3 of my silkies broody in  the one coop, in the other coop the seramas are not laying yet lol but wont be long

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 09:08 »
I have my first broody - she is not sitting on any eggs though!
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 14:44 »
I have my first broody - she is not sitting on any eggs though!

i have none, and it better stay that way :lol: :lol:,  which one is broody carol x
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

carolbriar

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 15:21 »
Its my buff rock - wouldn't have expected her to go broody.   It's a real nuisance as she is in the nest box closest to the pop hole and she growls at the others as they try and get into the house.  We keep putting her out and in the afternoons when they have all laid we shut her out of the house :)   

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 20:49 »
Mine are still at it  :mad: 1 Dottie has sort of given up but........

This is the 1 that won't fit into (or isn't allowed) into the chosen nest box.  This is the If I turn my back on you, you are not really there strategy

and lift up the lovely lavender customised tubtrug nestbox ( the little hephalumps broke their original wooden ones by jumping down on them from the perches every morning  ::) )

Madam broody pants Dottie no. 2 and old girl Yokohama who should know better. They've been locked out of the house most of the day but nearly broke their necks getting back in there tonight  ::)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 01:18 »
lovely photos!

noshed

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 22:29 »
They are beautiful
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 07:19 »
I love their markings   :D. Great photos New shoot :)

pinkladies

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 10:43 »
Hi, I`ve had my girls for a year and I am experiencing my first broody lady,I know its important to make sure she`s eating and drinking but is there anything else I can do or will she just get over it !! :(

Oliveview

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 10:57 »
We think one of our hens is getting broody, if we get too close to her she fluffs hersalf up and pecks us!  That is what happened last year when a hen went broody.  At least this year if she does get all broody we have a cockerel.
Pamela

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 18:34 »
Hi, I`ve had my girls for a year and I am experiencing my first broody lady,I know its important to make sure she`s eating and drinking but is there anything else I can do or will she just get over it !! :(

I'm chucking mine out every day for food and water, plus locking them out of the house for as long as I can.  A few hours if I'm at home and what I can manage if not.  I make sure their crops look good and full before I let them back in  and pick them up regularly to make sure they are not getting very underweight.  They will complain like hell about this but it's important so persevere.

You can construct a sin bin to put broodies in which is a small raised pen with a wire floor so they can't sit, but I'm too much of a softy for this.  They get fed up after a while and give up of their own accord, but there have been posts on here about hens starving themselves to death with prolonged broodiness so do take care and shout for more help if you are concerned.

xx
Broody Hen Day 16

Started by Chicken star on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 22:23
by Chicken star
xx
Is she broody?

Started by Tigerwren on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 15:22
by Tigerwren
xx
Broody Hen??

Started by Franceska on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 14:26
by ANHBUC
xx
Broody again!

Started by chuckmum on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 18:05
by chuckmum

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 31 queries.