Dig 4 Victory front garden

• 9 Replies
Dig 4 Victory front garden
« on: June 06, 2010, 14:57 »
Hi

I have been bitten by the grow your own bug since having my twin girls last year. They are 14 months old and I can't think of a cheaper or nicer way to feed them!! I struggled to find space to grow my veg. I am on an allotment waiting list and my attempt at getting a land share using the River Cottage website didn't come to anything. So, in March I looked at my front terrace garden and decided this still will have to do!

The garden is walled off the street. It's about ten foot by 15 foot and I have built raised beds in it. My neighbours thought I had lost the plot!! Our side of the street gets limited sun so I decided to plant lots if spinnach. I am using the square foot garden approach. I also have courgettes, tomatoes, broad bean, brussel sprouts, a big rhubarb, lots of herbs and a bed full of rasburys.  I am new to all  this so wasn't sure how it would turn out but I be blown it's now full of lush green veg!!! My  neighbours are quite impressed!! So much so they have pushed me into entering the garden into the local authority gardening contest for residents. Just to add a theme I have put up a Dig for Victory  sign and have ordered some wooden union jack bunting in a vintage style. Anyone got any other  ideas that might help stay with the vintage Dig for Victory theme?

Thanks
Sarah
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 15:02 by Mumdigs4victory »

Trillium

Re: Dig 4 Victory front garden
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 15:11 »
If your picture gets taken, be sure to wear those headscarfs which were knotted at the top and a pair of brown coveralls  :D

Here's something to inspire you. Although it's from California, it can apply anywhere. Dino kale is commonly known as Tuscan kale.

DX-rL2-KgP4

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 16:19 »
I did exactly the same last year, although not with the dig4victory theme!  Definitely enter the competition.  I won two runner up prizes which I was pleased with.  There are photos on here somewhere - can you show us some piccies of yours?  I think the idea of the square foot garden is a brilliant one and is ideal for front gardens.  I haven't decided whether to enter this year or not. I have rather a lot of onions/garlic/shallots in there as I went mad in the autumn when I wanted to plant something!

Some people said that I would have problems with people stealing the produce but that hasn't happened yet and, as I said, it is only the same as if someone stole flowers from a front garden.

My front garden is absolutely tiny so you really can use any space.  My bed is about 6squares by 5 squares and I get lots out of it.

If you could find an old watering can/hand tool then that would look quite good and add to the theme.

Good luck with yours

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 16:22 »
Hi

I have been bitten by the grow your own bug since having my twin girls last year. They are 14 months old and I can't think of a cheaper or nicer way to feed them!! I struggled to find space to grow my veg. I am on an allotment waiting list and my attempt at getting a land share using the River Cottage website didn't come to anything. So, in March I looked at my front terrace garden and decided this still will have to do!

The garden is walled off the street. It's about ten foot by 15 foot and I have built raised beds in it. My neighbours thought I had lost the plot!! Our side of the street gets limited sun so I decided to plant lots if spinnach. I am using the square foot garden approach. I also have courgettes, tomatoes, broad bean, brussel sprouts, a big rhubarb, lots of herbs and a bed full of rasburys.  I am new to all  this so wasn't sure how it would turn out but I be blown it's now full of lush green veg!!! My  neighbours are quite impressed!! So much so they have pushed me into entering the garden into the local authority gardening contest for residents. Just to add a theme I have put up a Dig for Victory  sign and have ordered some wooden union jack bunting in a vintage style. Anyone got any other  ideas that might help stay with the vintage Dig for Victory theme?

Thanks
Sarah

Make a scarecrow in Land Army uniform!

penance

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 16:27 »
Make something in the shape of an anderson shelter and plant veg on top of it.

Remember to use national growmore ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 16:28 »
Google pix of land army girls for the uniform, use any container that you can think of for growing veg in that era, ie galvanised buckets, big old kettles, a dolly tub, old dustbin, old boot or welly; you won't have chickens but you could always get some straw, a dozen eggs and make some cardboard cut-out pix of them or make a pretend one out of straw and some feathers from a local ckicken keeper! Best of luck!!! :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 16:41 »
Thanks for all your ideas!!! I really like the landarmy scarecrow idea but might be a bit too hard for me that one? ;)

Elcie my neighbours said exactly the same. They thought the food would get stolen but so far no problems. In fact i have met so many new neighbours whilst looking after the garden. Lots of neighbours are taking a real interest in how things are doing. I have given quite a few plants away that I have grow from seed but no one yet is brave enough to leave them in the front garden. Sign of the times I suppose!!

X

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 16:46 »
Thanks for all your ideas!!! I really like the landarmy scarecrow idea but might be a bit too hard for me that one? ;)

http://www.thekidsgarden.co.uk/MakeASillyScarecrow.html   :D

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 16:52 »
make sure  the scarecrow looks like adolf hitler  :tongue2:

Ice

• muck spreader
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
front garden with veg

Started by Emma on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post October 06, 2007, 11:36
by freyaluck
xx
Front Garden Growing

Started by Sophie_Chilli on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 13:07
by Sophie_Chilli
xx
What to plant in a Front Garden?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 09:20
by Debbie D
xx
Growing in your front garden

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post May 09, 2015, 11:48
by I Love Spuds

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 37 queries.