ahhhhh! not seen this before!!

• 8 Replies

summer-sun

ahhhhh! not seen this before!!
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:02 »
Can some one please advise me on what to do about these little blighters i have on my beautiful runner beans!!
Tiny little black flys and eggs (i gather :?  :? ) what are they? how do i get rid of them and will they affect the beans?? :D  :D
Lots of them are in flower but still no beans!!

thank you !
summer!! :D

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Re: ahhhhh! not seen this before!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:12 »
Quote from: "summer-sun"
Can some one please advise me on what to do about these little blighters i have on my beautiful runner beans!!
Tiny little black flys and eggs (i gather :?  :? ) what are they? how do i get rid of them and will they affect the beans?? :D  :D
Lots of them are in flower but still no beans!!

thank you !
summer!! :D

see if you can get a couple of lady birds and put them on the infected beans they love black fly. or just spray them
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:20 »
I came on this morning to moan about this, I have never seen blackfly on runners before.

Have tried soapy water will look at the outcome today otherwise its off to the bug house to find some ladies  :lol:

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:53 »
I had some last year, I just sprayed them, as I didn't see a ladybird in sight.  However, as I've been weeding (I love getting down to ground level and yanking up the weeds), I've seen quite a few ladybirds, so I would let nature do its course.  But keep your eyes peeled in case you get an epidemic.  Also, to avoid blackfly on your runner beans, nip the top of the plants when they get to be about 6' in height.  I forgot to do this last year, and I think that's why I had them
Babs

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:50 »
You can get blackfly on runners at far less than 6' high, (I suspect the two posters who've got them have not got beans that tall yet), so not quite sure how that would work.

Best thing is just to keep an eye out & squish them before they multiply too much.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 07:04 »
right another part to this, yesterday while weeding the runners (about 8 inches high now with early flowers on) I noticed the ants busy with the black fly, now I am sure last year I read somewhere that the ants are bad and not eating them like I hoped they would. Am I correct on this  :unsure:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:05 »
The ants "farm" them for their milk. They encourge the blighters.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 08:45 »
My runners were covered in blackfly last year, ended up looking like soot. Soapy water didn't seem to work. After about a month they were completely gone and the ladybirds were out in force. The crop was later and smaller though.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 17:05 »
The ants "farm" them for their milk. They encourge the blighters.

just as I thought little critters

get me Dr who he can exterminate  8)

xx
ahhhhh, spinach!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 00:03
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 36 queries.