Help! Courgette question!

• 4 Replies

pinkdaisychain

Help! Courgette question!
« on: June 06, 2010, 09:30 »
Hello,

My courgette plant has been flowering for sometime but only the flowers with no cougette behind (male ones I think?). Up to this point all the flowers with mini courgettes behind have started to look like they might flower and then shrivelled and fallen off! So I haven't had a chance to pollinate the two yet as they have never been open at the same time!

Right now I have a male flower open and a female one which looks close to opening (maybe in the next few days - week. Can I force the female one open early to pollinate it so it doesnt shrivel up like the others? I really want to have at least one courgette from my plant!

Thanks x

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Help! Courgette question!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:44 »
It is no good trying to force the female flower open cos the bits inside will not be ready for pollination.
Just leave the plant to get on with it :) this male only then female only routine is quite common, and they will sort them selves out soon....honest :lol:

You can buy all female courgettes now.........but like the all female cucumbers the seed is expensive.

look here to see what kind I mean
Luckily I got mine in the sale before they sold out, so next year is sorted :lol:

iggyboy

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 15:48 »
where are you growing your courgettes? They like warmth,but hate it being too hot. Also,courgettes like a massive amount of water,they could practically live in a pond! If you are growing them in a polytunnel/greenhouse,its too hot for them.
...the night was dark...they usually are!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 16:56 »
Every year mine start off like this and I wonder if they will ever grow.  Then, by september I am willing them to die. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 17:27 »
we had to sow more which have only just gone out, something keeps eating them from underneath (everyone is having trouble with squash type plants this year) ours are no where near flower stage but I wouldnt worry just let them get on with it  :D

xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
Courgette question

Started by Flo_Nettle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 18:04
by Novice
xx
courgette question

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2007, 08:35
by Knulpuk
xx
Courgette question

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 20:30
by gobs

Page created in 0.732 seconds with 30 queries.