Bougainvillea question.

• 4 Replies

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Bougainvillea question.
« on: June 05, 2010, 01:46 »
My two year old bougainvillea has plenty of flowers on at the moment, the problem is they are supposed to be red, but they are white with a hint of pink on some of them. Any ideas why this is.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

Spana

Re: Bougainvillea question.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:36 »
Had the wrong label on it.  Sorry :lol:  Dont think I've ever seen a white one or a red one come to that. :unsure:

Mines the usual pink and its a pain .  It takes over the green house and the spikes are something else.  I would take it out but the bracts are so beautiful and they last well in flower arrangements so it gets to live. :lol:
When i came here 10 years ago it covered the back wall of the 36ft lean-to green house and was so thick it was hard to get through the door. But  smothered in the pink bracts and little cream flowers it was a sight to behold :)

I keep the poor thing cut hard back now and you can tell its just waiting its moment to go on the rampage :ohmy:  Be warned :ohmy: :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:31 »
I have no answer, sorry, but am just so jealous  :ohmy:

They are truly beautiful, white pink or red, but I have nowhere I could grow one :(

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 14:34 »
It is definitely red (or should be), there are plenty of them that colour growing everywhere in the Far East, that's where I fell in love with them. I have since checked my soil and the PH value was........4......... it's now been re potted in a neutral soil. It is in a tub by the way so I can keep it to the size I want and bring it in for the colder months. Hoping the re potting and a good feed will bring it back to it's normal colour. I also rescued a poorly looking Bougainvillea from Focus yesterday, a lovely lilac one, re potted, tidied up, fed and watered, it looks a proper picture now.

Robbo.

P.S. Mumofstig, no problem growing in a pot, they don't need a big pot, they flower better if they are slightly stressed i.e. root bound and it helps to keep the size in check.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 14:40 by robbodaveuk »

kzaba

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 16:24 »
I kept them for years and yes you can get them in white,  red  even yellow/orange too but the most common is the purple. I would go with the wrong label theory, Reeds Nursery Loddon are I think holders of a national collection, you might get ideas for which variety you've got by looking at their site.

xx
Bougainvillea Question?

Started by Bombers on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 08:29
by Alex 98
xx
Help with a bougainvillea please

Started by Novice but totally hooked on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 22:40
by Bombers
xx
Growing Bougainvillea

Started by Amilo on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 20:09
by catllar
xx
question?

Started by coo! on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 19:11
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 31 queries.