Peas... Help

• 9 Replies

spiderlyn

• Experienced Member
Peas... Help
« on: June 04, 2010, 19:00 »
Please can someone help?  My peas keep dieing off :ohmy: I grow them on in plugs.. and they thrive.. they are outside, no cover so are weathered.  But when I transplant them into their Home.. they die off! I have tried different types of beds.. ie.. peat free compost mixed with peat compost and fed well before transplanting... compost on its own... now a mix of peat compost and soil from the garden.

Do you think it is the spot the tubs are in? west facing.. they get the sun from about 1pm till dusk (well when its out).. I have kept them well watered... then watered every other day.. but still the keal over and die :(  I've never had a problem with peas before.. but that was when I had my ikle garden plot... Still use the same peas.. Kelvedor...

All advice grately recieved..

Thank you in advance (all you garden guru's)
Try.. and ... try again... & keep trying..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Peas... Help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 19:06 »
Is there any particular reason why you're not sowing them direct?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 19:09 »
Perhaps you watering too much? They don't need as much as... say...spuds, and can make do without unless its hot for a long period of time. Possibly its root rot due to the soil not draining well.

Check for signs of powdery mildew (though I doubt its the case, you would have spotted this).

You don't need to feed peas, they get their nutrients by fixing enough nitrogen from the air

Otherwise I'm flummoxed  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

spiderlyn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 19:15 »
Is there any particular reason why you're not sowing them direct?
Not really... I started sowing early on when we had the bad weather... (but they were under cover..)  Its pouring at the moment ::) but when it stops I shall go shove some in direct and see what happens ;)
Thanks Yorkie .. never thought of trying that... ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 19:16 »
I assume you mean Kelvedon Wonder as the variety, not that it would make any difference to what's going wrong!

I can't be specific, but it's obviously something to do with the transplanting process and as Yorkie says, why not sow direct? There's surely not a lot to be gained in raising peas in modules outside to transplant somewhere else outside.

Are they maybe going from somewhere shady to blistering sun all afternoon?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

spiderlyn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 19:26 »

Are they maybe going from somewhere shady to blistering sun all afternoon?
No.. as they have been in my veg trug, but again that gets early sun.. shade for a few hours then from mid day full sun (when it out)  I have grown peas for the past two years this way and always had a good crop? the only differance is where they are planted.. do you think that this could be the problem? or try another variety?

Thanks in advance... as you can tell I'm a real novice :blush:

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 19:28 »
Beating me, SpiderLynn!  Sown mine in the grenhouse in plug trays and got a grand total of THREE appeared.  Worst performance ever.

Decided I must not like peas in fact, although I suppose I might try a last ditch attempt direct into the ground (hey, it is June now, even if the clouds are bursting as I write)

Luckily an incredibly kind person over near Wilsden generously gave away loads of thoroughly rotted hossmuck so I certainly have fertile beds to give 'em a fighting chance!

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

RichardA

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 22:05 »
is there a big difference in ph (or some significant mineral/metal etc) between the module/plug compost and the open ground ???????
R

spiderlyn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 00:42 »
Luckily an incredibly kind person over near Wilsden generously gave away loads of thoroughly rotted hossmuck so I certainly have fertile beds to give 'em a fighting chance!

me too.. LOL ;) and my new raised beds have some of the stuff too! finges X.d... everything else in the veg beds looking rosie... its just the peas??? my pots/ brasica's / salads etc are going great guns... me thinks I'm goin to have a word with those horses! LOL.... He might be a champion...(the big black one) but think I get his mates..$hit who is just a pet! Uummmm... ???

deannatrois

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 01:43 »
I ordered some peas from a trader on ebay as well as some courgettes and tomato seedlings.  The courgettes and tomatoes are growing great guns (bigger than most I have seen in the neighbourhood) but the peas were very sick when they arrived and have not really recovered. It was explained to me that peas don't like any kind of root disturbance, so they should either be planted into drainpipes so they can just be sort of 'pushed out' with mininal root disturbance when u are ready to transplant them.., or plant them directly. 

I have actually bought some pea seeds (ambassador) soaked them for 24 hours, and planted them directly as u can plant them from seed throughout June and still get a crop.

Over watering can be a problem too. 

I shall wait to see if the direct seeding works better but have seen peas on the allotment that completely put my sickly ebay buy to shame so I think I know what I am going to see.

I

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
wireless
peas

Started by jimbo1878 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 17:21
by Ian_A
xx
got to dig up the peas

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 11:36
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.744 seconds with 28 queries.