What fertlizers are in your shed???

• 14 Replies

DopeyAlex

• South East Frags
What fertlizers are in your shed???
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:54 »
Hey all,

I breifly toutched ont his subject in another topic, but I thought it deserved one for itself

Basically, Im trying to build up a good collection of plant foods/fertilizers. All I have so far is tomato food, Blood-fish-bone, and soon to be making nettle and comfrey tea. But this might happen a bit late this year as im still waiting for my comfrey to germinate (suprise, suprise :closedeyes: )

Anyway I would like to hear what YOU all recommend for plant foods/fertilizers and also a rough schedule on when you use them through out the year.

They will be used on a variety of veg, and the following fruit:

apple, plum, pear, cherry, apricot, orange, lemon, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, blackcurrants

Thanks v much,

Alex

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
Re: What fertlizers are in your shed???
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 13:34 »
2 big  buckets of chicken pellets & fish blood and bone,  a stinky waterbut of comfrey & nettle mix and 2 bottles of tom feed.  Should see me through.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 13:41 »
I've got calcified seaweed
6 X organic fertiliser pellets (which I think are chicken muck) I didn't realise this when I brought it (I have my own hens  :tongue2:)
Maxicrop liquid seaweed feed
Groworganic which is a powdered version of chicken muck

Outside my shed I have lots of nettles and comfrey growing on the plot margins which I use for making teas and I chop up leaves of both for the compost bin activation  :)

I only have all this as I didn't get any manure this year so the pelleted stuff has been a useful replacement. One bag of the Groworganic is enough for the whole plot so I'm told by my lotty neighbour

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 13:48 »
Chicken pellets dug in during the winter with mustard green manure.
In the shed there are........ a big tub of of BF&B, a bottle of liquid tomato feed and a pkt of lime :)
That's all I use.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 13:48 »
For the plants...
Maxicrop original for the seedlings etc.
blood, fish, bone.
Chicken pellets
tom food
For me...
1 merlot
2 Happy Goblin stouts
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 14:55 »
The three basics are N (Nitrogen – for leafy growth), P (Phosphates – for roots) and K (Potassium – for fruit). On that basis the fertilisers I have are Chicken Manure (N), which I use on brassicas, Bonemeal (P) which I use on spuds and Tomato Feed (K) which I use on toms and strawberries. In addition I use BFB which is balanced so can be used to improve soil and also the usual manure, compost and green manures where I can. (Liquid seaweed get’s occasional use as a pick me up and crop rotation so the beans can put down Nitrogen.)

Absolutely sure somebody will say they do different things (like for spuds), but it works well enough for me.

DopeyAlex

• South East Frags
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 15:00 »
Ok thanks very much for the quick replies. Couple more qu.

On the citrus trees, do you think its worth using citrus food (winter and summer)?

Would any of you surgest using a plant food such as 'miracle-gro liquid food'?

Finally, would I be over doing it by using all the following fertilizers/plant foods on the veg n fruit?

horse manure
BFB
Tom food
comfrey/nettle tea
miracle-gro plant food
citrus food

or is there something vital im missing?

Thanks

Zippy

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 16:05 »
Juice from the wormery (dilute 1:20)
Juice from my Comfrey compress (dilute 1:10)
My own urine - when no-one is looking! (dilute 1:10)
Weed tea - any perrenial weed and nettles dumped in a barrel of rainwater and left to steep until it stinks. (dilute 1:5)

Woodash from our own hearth - especially for runner beans and such when they come into flower

and I put comfrey leaves into the watering pots for my squashes and runner beans so they get a mini-feed with each watering.

I don't use animal manures (except for hutch cleanings from our own rabbit) or anything out of a box.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 16:28 »
comphry liquid and the remnants of some chicken manure. My compost heap is my main source of nutrients for the plot, with a bit of comphry feed thrown in once in a while
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 22:25 »
Finally, would I be over doing it by using all the following fertilizers/plant foods on the veg n fruit?

horse manure
BFB
Tom food
comfrey/nettle tea
miracle-gro plant food
citrus food

or is there something vital im missing?

Thanks

Not sure if you're asking if it would be OTT to use all of the above on each crop?  If so, yes.  Too much fertiliser can lead to an imbalance for the plant, which can lead to problems e.g. too much nitrogen will lead to weaker or too many leaves at the expense of flowers / fruit. 
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

solway cropper

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 22:38 »
I thought the same as Yorkie.....using all of them would be self defeating. You have to match the food to the plant. I have the same as most folks: chicken manure and BFB, home-made seaweed feed, nettle tea, wood ash and a bag of rock phosphate. I did use some miracle grow but only because it was left in the shed when we bought the house. To be honest, if your soil is in good condition you don't really need much more than stuff you can produce yourself anyway.

DopeyAlex

• South East Frags
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 23:28 »
Thanks very much for all the replies everyone. Its been great help. Great to get to know more about the chemistry side of it all. I ended up going down nottcuts and getting some miracle-gro and citrus food in the end.

Last year nothing at all was added to the soil besides horse manure and everything grew great. But this year i thought I would try the other end of the spectrum. And then next year i can deceide  :D

Well talking about 'matching the food to the plant', can I please have your inputs on this feeding schedule:

horse manure - To be added to all veggie beds once a year when turned over. Also used once a year as topdress on top fruits and soft fruits.

BFB - To be added to all veg and top/soft fruit (including citrus) 3 times a year during spring/summer

Tom food - To be fed to tomatos, chilli, pepper, augurgines, courgettes, cucumbers, gherkins once a week from flowering untill harvesting

miracle-gro veg n fruit plant food - To be fed to all veg, top/soft fruit (except tom fed ones and citrus trees) every 2 weeks throughtout spring and summer

citrus food - To be fed to orange and lemon tree every 2 weeks during spring/summer and every 4 weeks during autumn/winter

comfrey/nettle tea - Fed to all fruit and veg every now and then. Whenever I manage to get some made up.

I dont have ericaceaous plant food for the blueberries, but they are in ericaceaous soil. Is it ok to feed them normal miracle-gro veg n fruit plant food instead???

Thanks everyone for being soo patient with me  :blush:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 23:45 »
Sounds very regimented.

Agree about the tomato food.

Don't manure where you're going to grow parsnips or carrots.

As for the rest it's all a little  :blink: for me I'm afraid.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 11:08 »
Would agree with above on no manure for the roots, and make sure it is well rotted (over a year old) or it will burn your veg rather than help it.

Also use BFB or Miracle-gro, not both as that seems OTT. Likewise nettle tea and tom food sounds too much – do one or the other as more is not always better. (I would do tom food on the toms and probably not bother for some of the others in your list, particularly courgettes as they are rampant anyway just with some manure under them and I think that chilli’s actually like poor conditions).

It will also depend on your soil type. I have very dry, sandy soil so it is a constant battle to stop nutrients being washed away. If you have clay soil then this is less of a problem.

If you don’t replace nutrients then the greedy veg will take the nutrients away so you need to get a balance of natural/ artificial fertilisers going.

(As a last word if you are unsure try one method on half the plants and another on the others and see what gives you the best results - I still do this!)

DopeyAlex

• South East Frags
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 02:18 »
ok thanks for the imports guys. Will keep ya'll posted.

xx
Got a shed!

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 13:14
by muntjac
xx
New Shed....what do you think

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 09:16
by mikem
xx
Who's shed is it?

Started by carol2711 on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 10:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
Shed

Started by Novice on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 11:10
by gregmcalister

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 38 queries.