Modules and plug trays - running out.

• 1 Replies

Zippy

Modules and plug trays - running out.
« on: June 04, 2010, 09:20 »
I am finding seeds I am sowing in plug trays and the smaller modules are running out of nutrients before seedlings (Beetroot, Swede, Turnip) get to their first pair of true leaves. When I knock them out the roots are thick enough and coiling at the bottom.

When I pot them on, they have a spurt of growth over a week and fill out.

Are plugs only for getting seeds off the ground without using too much compost then and need potting on soon after germination?

The reason I sow in plugs and pot on is to give the plants on my slug ridden plot a fighting chance. I only have a half plot so potting on and planting out is not such a burden as a pleasure really. My allotmenteering feels more like gardening than allotmenteering, making beds of assorted related groups of things rather than metric rows.

I am also finding that Fertile Fibre is really fine and great for germinating seeds, but then not really robust enough to hold a good rootball. Care when planting out is needed.

(reason for editing: spelling)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:46 by Zippy »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Modules and plug trays - running out.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 09:38 »
I bought some cosmos from the car boot sale - in tiny 1cm square modules.  The roots were so tightly coiled, and the plants were starting to form flowers even though only 3-4" high, so I guess they were highly stressed.

It's a fine line between moving them before they are ready, and leaving them there too long.

I tend to start things off in modules no smaller than 12 or 18 to a full seed tray.  That seems to give them enough room to get established before planting out.  Only beans and squash / courgettes get started off in a larger pot.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
growing seedlings in tiny plug trays

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 13:45
by Headgardener22
xx
broad beans started off in plug trays

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 20:55
by charley1980
xx
Modules

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2023, 20:25
by snowdrops
xx
Beetroot in modules

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 11:07
by surbie100

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 28 queries.