Egg Production really down,Broody Girls are up!

• 2 Replies

Missie

Egg Production really down,Broody Girls are up!
« on: June 02, 2010, 19:50 »
Hi,I was getting at least 20 eggs per day until recently when 4 of my girls decided they were broody,I done everything but they kept coming in and growling at me to "get out"!!

Now,four girls have their chicks but 3 more have gone broody this week.,yesterday 8 eggs,though today a dozen.

This is my first full year with hens,they were not broody when I bought them around July last year,I would appreciate any tips to try and get them back egg laying-or should i just get them some eggs to sit on!Your advice would be very welcome,I have tried cooling them off,taking them off,wet their tummies and yet they still go back into the coop.

The other girls are frustrated at not being able to use those nest boxes to lay!

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Re: Egg Production really down,Broody Girls are up!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 23:43 »
Missie i have broody's all over the place at the moment, i just chuck them out with the rest and remove eggs as soon as they have been laid, unless i want them to sit that is, all you can do is remove them as often as poss and try and stop them from being broody, i am sure someone will be along shortly to give you some more advice on this. But that is all i do.
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

ehs284

Re: Egg Production really down,Broody Girls are up!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:21 »
Similar problem last month with one bird. Last year we found that cooling them in water worked, but this time no effect and the bird was causing others to lay anywhere. She was also a little peculiar in behaviour. Expected tail up and growl when first disturbed, but when picked up, she nestled close and wanted stroking and cuddling. Eventually we put her into a shed with water and food for two days. She hated it, but it seemed to work as the following day she was back to normal. HTH

xx
Girls gone all broody

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 19:14
by Madrat
xx
putting my broody hen bk in with my other girls how will they react?

Started by nic n dave on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2011, 11:26
by Oakdalebirds1
xx
egg production?

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 12, 2009, 20:28
by pushrod
xx
Egg Production

Started by parson on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 12:18
by parson

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 28 queries.