swedes?

• 21 Replies

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
Re: swedes?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 09:29 »
You have to be very careful in transplanting root veg. They absolutely hate root disturbance.

I'm not a fan of doing it, I tried it once 34 years ago.

Must admit this is the 1st time i have grown them like this as i thought giving them a good start undercover might be better.
Everything else has been ok.
I used to grow them in containers at home before i had an allotment with no problem.
Infact all my veg was grown in containers including Cauli's
Learn't this time not to do it again :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 17:55 »
i have  never planted swede in modules or trays because as i understand swede don't like root disturbance as far as i can remember they have always been set directly into the prepared bed i can remember my dad gaping a field of swede years ago although having said that i have been told one can grow swede successful  in paper pots may be because it minimizes the root disturbance may be worth a try why not give it a go             

good luck  ;)

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 18:44 »
transplanting root veg is totally fine if you are careful when transplanting. But to be honest if you sow many more than you actually need (which is, to be honest, often the case) the odd "broken" transplant is not going to matter.

When transplanting I tend to transplant 2 or 3 of the transplants v close to each other - knowing that there is a high chance at least one of them will take. And I just thin the surplus once I know I have at least one taking.

But I do prefer to grow some root veg straight into the ground and thin from there.

smc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 22:10 »
I'm pretty sure I grew Ruby last year, which I sowed direct in July and they were brilliant. Not sure if our results would be the same though. We had a long, dry summer here and I hardly gave them any attention.
It was the first year I'd tried swedes and I couldn't believe what a good crop they were considering how much I neglected them  :D

same here, i sowed alot from seed last  bit of water every now and then and that was it, my soil is decent, but i did not add much to it, remember they are very hardy and have been told they like to be left alone,this year i have grew alot from seed in ghouse  and they are massive already...will get the names of them for you

smc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 22:13 »
transplanting root veg is totally fine if you are careful when transplanting. But to be honest if you sow many more than you actually need (which is, to be honest, often the case) the odd "broken" transplant is not going to matter.

When transplanting I tend to transplant 2 or 3 of the transplants v close to each other - knowing that there is a high chance at least one of them will take. And I just thin the surplus once I know I have at least one taking.

But I do prefer to grow some root veg straight into the ground and thin from there.

more than you need yes good idea for most stuff, but i only grow in toilet roll tubes then no  movement of roots is needed,

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 08:38 »
Went up allotment yesterday afternoon & noticed that about a dozen of my 40 sorry looking swedes had started to slightly pick up. :D

penance

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 09:49 »
Due to clubroot on our land I always grow marian and always start in pots, no problems so far.

xx
Out of Swedes already - can I sow more Swedes (or Turnips)

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 23:38
by Kirpi
xx
Swedes

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 23:35
by mkhenry
xx
Swedes

Started by yaxley on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 22:28
by yaxley
xx
Swedes .

Started by Motivator on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2007, 22:55
by WG.

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 30 queries.