Borage/Alkanol

• 3 Replies

viettaclark

Borage/Alkanol
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:14 »
Done a daft thing by putting in more Alkenol by mistake. I already had some but it's so pretty! Shame it's so invasive...
Question is....can I use it in my comfrey mash? It's the same family and means I could cut it right back after flowering so it doesn't get seed and get too rampant. Might get a second flush of flowers (bee love 'em) as well???

viettaclark

Re: Borage/Alkanol
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 12:34 »
Just been on the gardening site and had a thought. Can dead nettle be used for fertiliser too?

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 12:34 »
I've got borage self seeding about and mostly popping up in the raised beds. I've moved loads of them to the plot margins to keep the wildlife happy. They are gorgeous aren't they  :)

Don't know about the leaves being useful like comfrey but it can't hurt to put the leaves in the compost bin

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 14:44 »
Borage is an excellent bee nectar source. I seed a row of them in my veg bed every year to ensure good veg pollination and it keeps the bees very happy.

Dead nettles are commonly known as lamium over here, and are in my mind invasive. They're part of the mint family and everyone knows they must be contained. I've found no information on nutrient value of lamium for use in homemade fertilizers so I'd assume it's just good bulk material for the compost pile itself. However, do be diligent in cutting leaves before any seeds appear and never add any nettle roots to the pile as they'll quickly take over and the battle begins again.

xx
Borage

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 19:15
by Jim T
xx
Borage

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 12:18
by mumofstig
xx
Borage

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 18:54
by agapanthus
xx
The Beauty of Borage

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 17:04
by Oliveview

Page created in 1.794 seconds with 28 queries.