sowing runners direct

• 4 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
sowing runners direct
« on: June 01, 2010, 13:08 »
hi everyone,thought i'd try sowing my runner beans direct into the soil this year ,it cuts out all the work of planting  into  pots and then planting into the ground.ive put in two beans per cane as recommended,a few slug pellets.bit worried though about the young shoots with the pigeons.fingers crossed things will be ok :)does anyone plant their beans direct with good results? :mellow:

madcat

Re: sowing runners direct
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 13:15 »
Yes - but you do have to fight the slugs and the pigeons for them!  Last year we wrapped shiny discs and crisp packets and foil containers to scare every thing away from the shoots and the slug pellets.  Moderate success, but did need some infills.  This year we wrapped all round with fleece until they are big enough to cope, which has worked better.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 13:38 »
that sounds encouraging mad cat.i have planted extras on the ends to fill up any that dont germinate.i think i'll get mi nets out for the pigeons.i used up all mi old cds last year an i cant afford the alli trays from the chinky there's a recession on you know! :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 13:54 »
I planted mine as I grew them in pots indoors but having hardened them off and planted them out I've found that they're almost dead and it looks like I'll have to sow direct  :nowink:

I sowed direct last year but the pigeons got the damned lot.  I'll have to sow and them net immediately (or mesh in my case)

Ditto with the dwarf beans.  It is cheaper and easier to sow direct but whether you get a crop depends on the enemy  :D

Swing Swang

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 14:10 »
I've mentioned it before - but run a cloche up the middle of the bean canes - keeps off the birds, and blue death underneath to keep off the slugs. If it's too warm then use fleece/debris netting/netting/enviromessh etc instead of plastic.

SS

xx
direct sowing now?

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 22:15
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Sowing direct

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 12:30
by mumofstig
xx
Sowing chitted parsnips direct

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 07:47
by plum crumble
xx
Success tips - sowing direct

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 13:47
by JayG

Page created in 0.655 seconds with 28 queries.