Has anyone had success with growing outdoor cucumbers

• 10 Replies

sclarke624

Everyone I try to grow of market more and burpless have died.  The leaves go papery as in sun sorch, one by one then plant wilts.  Have tried brand new pots, outside only growing, inside only growing, leaving water from tap to stand overnight before watering.  Are they always this difficult to grow.

Thanks
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 17:19 »
1st year I've tried outdoor cukes but I've planted direct and they seem OK, but I have noticed the leaves are a darker green than those inside and coarser.

Cukes are not normally too difficult to grow, what medium are you growing in, have you checked under the leaves for mites this can some times lead to papery leaves ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 18:52 »
I'm growing outdoor bush cucumbers this year. When I first put them in I thought they would all die but only only did.....although the rest don't look brilliant. Can't be too bad though 'cos one of the plants has a tiny cucumber on it!!!! :)

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 20:07 »
Hmmmmmmm! I got as far as a 2" cucmber on all, but still they died, agapanthus, I hope you have better luck.

Richy can't see any mites.  Am using general purpose compost, nothing special.  Just trying to fathom what I am doing wrong.  Also checked roots and that on dead ones nothing amazing there.

We do have very limey water here though, well limier than what we used to have in Croydon, Surrey.  Leave a glass on your bedside here for more than two hours and its revolting.

starmoonlilly

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 20:31 »
Its my first time trying outdoor cukes. They look pretty happy at the moment, still small but they are starting to flower.
Life is for living.....permaculture is for life.

frazzy

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 20:38 »
i also have grown a few cue plants the small ridge type. my plants are looking a bit worse for the ware at the moment but i,m hopeing they pick up soon.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

helluvatractor

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 21:06 »
hi, i've got a question about cucumbers.

i've got two marketmore cucumbers both have flowers, and have put them in the greenhouse in a growbag. (i think marketmore is really an outdoor variety)?

I've read about the issue of removing male flowers, and it seems that you leave male flowers on outdoor cukes but remove the male flowers on indoor cukes (to stop them tasting bitter).

As i've got a non-f1 outdoor variety indoors, should i remove them or not? :?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 21:26 »
Good question helluvatractor all depends on the variety you grow, some you do some you don't Marketmore can be grown indoors or out but whichever Don't remove the male flowers.

Here's a link to Mr Fothergille

helluvatractor

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 06:47 »
thanks again rich.  glad you said that, cos i've just seen some male flowers on them this morning and my finger and thumb started twitching ! :D   will leave them alone  :wink:

splodger

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 11:37 »
i'm growing burpless tasty - outdoors - in a hot bed (with melons and squash - which might lead to interbreeding  :lol: ) i'm off to lottie in a bit to pick my second cucumber - it's about 9in long.

i have found that cucurbits are fussy plants and like things to be exactly right for them to flourish.

the suffer from damping off and foot rot, they are greedy yet need good drainage - and they do not like to have water on their leaves - so always water below the leaves - i have a cover over my hotbed - so that the rain runs down into the bed - but avoids the foliage.

they are also prone to insect and virus attack

other than that - they are easy :roll:

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 07:26 »
Marketmore grow well in grow bags!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

xx
Outdoor cucumbers

Started by Ann on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 22:45
by Ann
xx
outdoor cucumbers

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 02:27
by Paul Plots
xx
outdoor cucumbers

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2014, 07:28
by snow white
xx
Outdoor Cucumbers

Started by Jsy Lou on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 18:39
by Yabba

Page created in 0.594 seconds with 30 queries.