Leek Advice

• 49 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Leek Advice
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 18:15 »
Still trying to sus out how to get those "pencil thickness" leeks that everyone goes on about!

I think its a myth ... I've never had pencil-thickness to transplant, and I've come to the conclusion that length is more important than girth ... I want mine to stick out of the top of the dibber-hole so they get some daylight.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 18:18 »
I just do mine the same as everyone else on here.
Ive also tried the cat litter tray method this year for the first time and so far so good they are better seedlings than my old method,and no transplanting into bigger pots so whoever put that tip up on here a big thanks.

You're welcome!

As another 'first time cat litter tray grower' I can honestly say that this year's leeks are so far much superior  :nowink: :nowink: and some are already pencil thick  :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 18:30 »

As another 'first time cat litter tray grower' I can honestly say that this year's leeks are so far much superior  :nowink: :nowink: and some are already pencil thick  :D :D :D

.......and I can honestly say that I'm as sick as a nearly-dead parrot who has just been given the news that his first-time leek seedlings still look more like a biro-refill than a pencil!  :tongue2:  :lol:

(They will be taking their chance in the garden very soon even if I never see them again!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 18:47 »

.......and I can honestly say that I'm as sick as a nearly-dead parrot who has just been given the news that his first-time leek seedlings still look more like a biro-refill than a pencil!  :tongue2:  :lol:

(They will be taking their chance in the garden very soon even if I never see them again!)

Maybe by the time the noew spuds are dug up, those leeks will be thicker and ready to go out

PS Mine have always been the biro refill sort up until this year and still made good leeks eventually  :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 19:17 »
You are very kind Sunshine; me and my poorly parrot are both very grateful to you!  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 20:20 »
As another 'first time cat litter tray grower' I can honestly say that this year's leeks are so far much superior   and some are already pencil thick   

Just to make you sick Jay, this is my 2nd year with the littertray leeks and some of mine are pencil thick as well  :D

davethespread

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 20:26 »
i done the cat litter tray trick this year too,and people down the plot were saying jeez them leeks look well,chuffed or what ;)
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 20:28 »
No one posting any photos, just boasting eh?  I still think pencil-thick leek seedlings is a myth then ... (I'm going to regret this, aren't I?!!)

davethespread

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 20:31 »
No one posting any photos, just boasting eh?  I still think pencil-thick leek seedlings is a myth then ... (I'm going to regret this, aren't I?!!)

sorry kristen they are in the ground now ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 22:14 »
I did the litter tray thing and they all got eaten (before being planted out onto the plot!)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

davethespread

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 06:35 »
your not supposed to put the litter tray on the floor for the cat afterwards yorkie :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 07:32 »
 :lol:

::) Knew there was something  :lol:

Swing Swang

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 07:38 »
Girth or length isn't too critical - certainly no need to worry about pencils!

diggerjoe

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 09:44 »
with you JayG - pencil thickness !!! if only - mine are all on a diet  skinny minnies the lot of them perhaps they dont like the colour of the cat litter tray or they will grow into very slim elegant leeks - onions from seed were the same skinny efforts and not putting on any weight in the plot either - dont think I'll bother with spring onions they proabaly wont even germinate  :D

Snoop

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 10:53 »

Well, I've just taken a photo but can't find the cable to connect the camera to the computer (honest). In the meantime, you'll just have to take my word for it that my leeklets are indeed pencil thick. The longest leaves are about 30 cm long.

This is my first attempt at growing leeks the DD way, though instead of a cat litter tray, I used a washing up bowl. In fact, it's my first attempt ever at growing leeks from seed. They were sown on 21 March and have had two small feeds of nitrogen fertiliser.

I bet if you give yours some of the nitrogen fertiliser you mentioned in your diary, they'll shoot up and out.

xx
Someone Please Leek Some Advice

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 23:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Leek advice

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 02, 2021, 08:38
by Christine
xx
Leek advice please

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 19:08
by Snap Dragon
xx
can anyone offer advice on my leek seedlings

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 11:21
by mickeyboy

Page created in 0.964 seconds with 30 queries.