Chilli flowers and chillis falling off

• 12 Replies

chrisjsmith

Chilli flowers and chillis falling off
« on: May 27, 2010, 19:44 »
I've been growing 4 chilli plants (from Marshalls mixed carribean hot seeds) on the kitchen window sill since around 10th Jan.  Only one plant has started producing flowers so far and appears to be quite strong.  However the flowers turn into small green chillis about 4-6mm long, the stalks go brown, die and fall off at the bit where the flower stalk joins the main stem.  It's happened to 6 flowers so far.  Obviously this is now what I'm after :(

The plants are watered every 2-3 days and get a tony bit of tomato fertilizer weekly.  There is plenty of sunlight for the majority of the day.

Initially I thought the plants were not self-pollinating but I have read since that they are.

Any help would be appreciated in diagnosing epic chilli failure!

Thank you :)

Trillium

Re: Chilli flowers and chillis falling off
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 20:18 »
They get sulky when they get too much water and not quite the right amount of fertilizer. Drop your watering back to about every 4-5 days (provided the soil isn't bone dry to the touch) and use some fertilizer about once every 2 weeks and according to the package/bottle instructions for dilution. Tomato fertilizer should work provided the first number is quite low and the other 2 are higher than the first for proper fruit set.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 20:29 »
Tickle the flowers with a soft artists paint brush to ensure good pollination and do not water the plants till the leaves start to wilt.
This sounds harsh but it really does them no harm.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 20:33 »
Its hard to tell without seeing then if its lack of pollination or just flower drop. Some flower drop is normal especially at the start of the season as the pepper gets into the swing of things.

Id not worry yet - follow the advise already given  :D

Epic failure ? Mine haven't even flowered yet - and show no sign of doing it in the near future !

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 20:43 »
Have you got a balcony or patio where you can put them outside during the day? It would probably help if they are not leaning towards the light.  Turning them round every day can cause flower drop.

Also, I agree with Lardman - mine are still at the bud stage so maybe you sowed them a bit early.  I am sure by September they will reward you with some flowers and hopefully some chillies.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 20:51 »
I sowed mine way back at the end of Jan and they have been flowering on the windowlege for a few weeks now and I have a few nice peppers coming along nicely.
I forget about watering them....they are usually parched by the time I remember ::)
when I do water it is with weak tomato fertilizer....and I haven't done anything to help pollination........maybe the occasional fly comes in....dunno 8)

All this bad treatment and they seem to thrive...........it really seems strange!  :lol:

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 00:26 »
Usual advice on chilli forums, "water when the plants droop" (note: they also droop if over  watered), feed once a fortnight after they set fruit with 1/2 strength tom food

I water mine when I remember, or when they look so floppy that even a blonde can see "they need water!" ... think they got fed twice last year ; Had some great crops for the amount of plants I had though :D

¥

bigben

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 10:11 »
I have 3 different types on the windowsill. My Golden Ceyene is doing really well with a few decent sized chillis on it. My Big Jim has bud that have not opened into flowers yet, but my Jalapenos have lots of flowers but even though I have been using the little brush there is no sign of fruits and some of the flowers are now falling off. What am I doing wrong?

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 22:02 »
Sometimes on this site there are posts I wish I hadn't read and this is one :(. My OH was given a chilli plant last year and having been told to 'water it freely' has had it sitting in an inch of water for the last 9 months  :ohmy:
Despite this wanton cruelty we have a bag full of frozen chillies from last summer plus 3 almost ready chillies and 15 more flowers on the plant.
Would we have more if we'd watered less? and should I stop watering my seedling chilli plants so often?
PS. The plant label says 'Westshore chilli pepper hot' I assume westshore is the grower rather than a variety.
So confused :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 22:51 »
No, chilis don't need much water and waterlogging them will definitely make the fruit fall off. They come from hot countries and are used to dry weather and conditions. As for the name, Westmore sounds like the grower's name to me too.

chrisjsmith

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 19:10 »
Thanks for all the suggestions. 

I've started watering when they look a bit limp and will stick some very diluted tomato feed in every couple of weeks.

TBH, I did them in two batches.  The first plant was sown on Jan 1st which might have been a bit early.  The other ones planted a month later are doing better by the looks as the flower stalks seem to be a bit meatier and they aren't as spindly.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 20:00 »
I've planted mine at the begining of Jan for the last couple of years and they have done well. Making sure they get lots of light and not overdoing the water seems to work for me. I've had some rather insipid chillis in the past so last year went for the "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen" and did not feed them at all. Got quite a few but not loads of chillis and they almost blew your head off. Going for a half way house this year. Hopefully a few more but not as hot.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

chrisjsmith

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 22:42 »
Status update.  I now have 2 fairly thing chillis roughly 1 inch long on one plant.  I have one stubby looking one (quite large) emerging on one of the other plants.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  They appear to work nicely :)

xx
Chilli flowers falling off

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 15:23
by Sadgit
clip
Chilli leaves going brown and falling off

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 21:35
by Yorkie
xx
pepper plant flowers falling off

Started by Princess1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 11:21
by JayG
xx
The flowers are falling off my runner beans.

Started by kathrose on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2013, 15:05
by JayG

Page created in 0.881 seconds with 38 queries.