Mares tail

• 11 Replies

Flump

• Experienced Member
Mares tail
« on: May 26, 2010, 19:16 »
I've never seen this weed,or so I thought!I kept walking past a plot that was covered in this conifer type plant growing and asked someone what it was.I was horrified to find out it was Mares tail and worse ,that it was growing onto my plot! :mad:can anyone suggest the best thing to do?thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Mares tail
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 19:20 »
A Santa Claus impression.

Hoe, Hoe Hoe!

As Aunt Sally would say, "never let it see a Sunday". It may never get rid of it fully, but it will weaken the plant.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 19:24 »
I've learned to live with them.  :D.  read my footnote  :lol:
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 20:26 »
i have mares tail and every time it comes up i dig it up and follow it back , this helps keep it at bay and as DD says hoe hoe hoe. :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 20:40 »
it's a war of attrition.  Watch out for the seed heads in Feb/March and try to get rid before they spore.  They look like mini-woody-mushrooms :tongue2:
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

Yabba

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 20:55 »
Dunno about the rest of the country, or even the rest of blackpool, but the bit I live in has seen loads of mares tail this year. Like the rest I've just been pulling it out as and when it's reared its ugly head.

Really unusual to see this much though.

¥

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 21:42 »
Agreed! Never seen as much as there is this year and its causing a battle on the plot aaaaarrrgh  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Just pick it off every time i see it. No chance of getting to the root as its amongst my seedlings  :( :( :( :( :(
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

Cazzy

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 13:17 »
Health food shops have the right idea, they bottle it and sell it....... maybe you could go into the supply business  :lol:
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 14:13 »
I've NEVER seen it as bad as it is this year. I haven't been to my plot since last Friday and I've just been up there and I was in shock, it's unrecognisable  :ohmy:. Every bed, every path is just a sea of 1ft high mares tail. I've just spent 2 hours hoeing and pulling it out and you can't even tell I've been.

Well, I'll just keep at it. This time last year I totally gave up on my plot because it just defeated me every time.

Not this year  >:( >:( >:(.

:lol:
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 16:56 »
Where I live there are dykes along the sides of the roads and there is definitely far more this year than I've seen before. I have it in my garden and used Doff tough weedkiller and it has bombed it out of a seashore bed; however, on here I was told that it is no longer available. Casuron 4 sprinkled onto the blighter which has been bruised and lightly sprayed with water has worked for me in the past. I cover it up with grass clippings so my cats don't get the granules on their paws.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 17:45 »
Someone more clued up on this may be able to advise better,  but never having heard of Casoron, I thought I'd look it up.

From what I can see, and I may be wrong here, the active ingredient is dichlobenil, and the use of this chemical appears to be banned after 31st March 2010.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 18:46 »
Ducks are the answer! They love the stuff and it doesn't really get a look in in my garden. Any bits that rear their heads in the veg beds gets pulled up and fed to them.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
mares tail'horse tail

Started by flutemaster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 20:54
by gobs
xx
mares tail

Started by sizer247 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 14:49
by Paul Plots
xx
mares tail

Started by longey on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 17:09
by longey
xx
Has anyone got Mares Tail yet?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 23:32
by Ann

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 36 queries.