tomatoes in hanging baskets- how big?

• 10 Replies

mollyblob

tomatoes in hanging baskets- how big?
« on: May 23, 2010, 21:04 »
I'm growing tomatoes in my spare room, the plan being to plant them out in hanging baskets (they're a variety suitable for this). 

All this sunshine this weekend made me think I should get a wriggle on with getting them into their final homes, so was looking at hanging baskets in the garden centre.  I'm after a free standing hanging basket "tree", and have seen several... all come with 12" hanging baskets.  They don't look big enough!  they look shallower than the 6" pots the tomatoes are in now... would they be ok in baskets this small?  Or do I need to invest in bigger ones?  They're all looking so healthy at the moment (touch wood)... I don't want to kill them all off now (but am also slightly broke and wanting to avoid buying extra stuff)! :-)

DavidT

Re: tomatoes in hanging baskets- how big?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 21:10 »
I`ve never grown these trailing toms myself, but I would say you only want one in a 12" basket, but, preferably, 1 to a 14" basket. :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 21:30 »
I've just planted up some 12" hanging baskets with flowers.  There isn't a lot of soil in them and I wouldn't plant more that one tomato in there.  Must admit, though I grow lots of toms I havn't grown trailing ones.
Cheese makes everything better.

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 21:37 »
I grow tumbling toms.  I use 16" and put in three; so one, possibly two at a pinch 8)
Babs

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 21:42 »
I put one Tumbling Tom per 12" basket. Line it with plastic.....otherwise the water comes straight out!

mollyblob

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 21:45 »
Hmm... maybe I'll splash out on some bigger baskets then. 

Lining them with plastic.... do you put a layer of plastic, then the mossy stuff that they come with, or just put the soil straight in on top of the plastic? 

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 22:04 »
Doesn't really matter I don't think....moss looks better than ugly plastic but it might be best to have the moss next to the roots? I had a coir lining in mine and did the plastic (lifted out the whole thing and lined it) when I realised water was pouring straight out so it's on the outside....
Anyone know?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 22:05 »
I've put a saucer in the bottom of mine too.  Oh, and some water retaining gel.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 22:09 »
My hanging basket toms are very very slow to mature. They have only just got their true leaves! I have kept them nice and warm, and they have been having trips out in the garden this week to get some nice sunshiny warmth and weather. I haven't let them bake, and I haven't overwatered them. Should I be feeding them to help them grow? At this rate, they will just about be ready to plant out at Christmas!

peskypixie

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 23:09 »
Hi, my problem with basket toms is them drying out all the time. They are hanging in the polytunnel and last year it was a constant battle to keep them wet enough (one per 16'' basket, lined with plastic with holes). This year i have made fewer holes but should have done the saucer thing or some gel .....doh!!! They make lovely toms but watering becomes relentless!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 19:39 »
If you're using the gel, make sure you dampen it before putting it into the basket - otherwise it will swell in the basket and you run the risk of it pushing compost and/or plants out of the basket  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Tomatoes in hanging baskets.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 10:29
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Hanging Baskets with tomatoes

Started by bluelou on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 14:12
by kermit
xx
Tomatoes and Hanging Baskets

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 12:39
by polly nator
xx
Tomatoes in Hanging Baskets

Started by flowerlady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 13:53
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.716 seconds with 28 queries.