have I got plum pocket

• 10 Replies

manna

have I got plum pocket
« on: May 11, 2010, 18:11 »
hi, for several years the plum tree in my garden (which yields a few small yellow plums I think may be mirabelle or claude reine) has suffered from producing mostly small, flattened banana shaped plumlets (!) at the beginning of the growing season, like now! they shrivel and drop of in time. the tree itself appears healthy, responds well to heavy pruning, and has no sign of leaf curl or dying of the branches, but we never get a good crop of plums. is this plum pocket? if not, any ideas? if so, any ideas how to treat it?
thanks

compostqueen

Re: have I got plum pocket
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 22:55 »
You normally get plum drop in June. Do you think you're pruning it too heavily?

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 22:58 »
On this site is a picture of plum pocket, which doesn't sound at all like your description.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/hortcrop/pp689w.htm

I can't find anything even remotely similar to what you describe as most problems affect the leaves rather than the fruit in such a manner.
Only suggestion I can make is to take a few of the fruit, a few leaves, and take it to your local gov't agricultural division and ask them for help. If they can't figure it out, they'd very likely send you to someone who can. It could be something simple as soil problem, late frosts, etc. but I wouldn't assume anything without a professional opinion.

coughdrop

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 14:21 »
What a coincidence (sp), that is how i just found this site, by looking for the same answer, my plum tree is 25 years old and has hardley ever had fruit, last year we got two small yellow fruits that had split, my neighbour cut it back at his side, and this year we got loads of flowers, there are some tiny fruits and lots of mishapen flat green things, could it be because of the bad frosts we had, any ideas would be appreciated.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 14:31 »
My mother has the same problem - vigorous plum bush but no fruit. Her area has lots of heavy and late frosts which kill off all the flowers so she never had any fruit in the 25 years she tried, so she simply cut down the bush and planted something else.
The only solution to get fruit if you're in this type of area is to spread loads of fleece over the tree top and tie it down against winds until you're sure frost is past. It's a lot of work but our weather patterns are changing a lot and we have to change our thinking with it.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 17:04 »
My tree's suffered from this this year too.  It blossomed normally then as the blossom fell small "plumlets" formed.  Then we had a couple of frosts and most turned black, shrivelled, and have remained on the tree all mishapen and obviously dead.

A few have survived, but these were nicely tucked up in the leaves so had a bit of insulation.

Next year I'm wrapping it in fleece

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 17:43 »
Never heard of it until now, but does it look like this?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=199

Seems that tidying up  and general fortification of the tree is the best although it seems some chemical is available if you feel it necessary, and can locate whatever they refer to.

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 18:02 »
I'm the opposite, I've inherited a small plum(?) tree from the old owners here which burst with fruit last year but as I didn't know what they were I didn't eat any, so this year I am on a quest to ID said tree and put the fruit to good use if possible. I'd put a pic on here but alas I'm not very good with technology, hopefully once the fruit comes I will work out how too and see if anyone knows what it is, it's very small for a plum tree and looks very old and gnarly.

coughdrop

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 10:30 »
Hi Siouxfly, when you take your pics, download them into photobucket, it`s free to join and then you can upload the into here, it`s easy when you get the hang of it, if you need any help just shout.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 15:15 »
Oh no!  :ohmy: :( Having looked at that photo, thanks AnnieB I think my huge plum tree may have it. Last year it produced loads of greengages and plums (originally two trees but planted so close together they look like one now) but this year the fruit that is growing looks like some of the fruit on that pic - not the completely brown ones but the ones with patches of brown on. So gutted -was so looking forward to plum jam and greengage crumble. :-(

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 19:46 »
Manna, your description sounds rather like sawfly damage, which I sometimes see a few on my plum tree.

Remove any flattened plums from the tree and any that have fallen on the ground and destroy them. This prevents the grubs from overwintering in the ground to emerge the next spring to lay their eggs at plum flowering time.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 20:08 by Aunt Sally »

xx
Plum Pocket?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2019, 12:29
by hasbeans
xx
On sale, handy little pocket guide for on the Lotty.

Started by hayles62 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 29, 2006, 23:54
by Flower
xx
Can you name this plum

Started by Dotty on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 19:28
by hamstergbert
xx
Can anyone tell what plum this is?

Started by janeheritage on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 20:20
by Ice

Page created in 0.677 seconds with 33 queries.