Confused over what I can and what I cant feed to hens????

• 23 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Confused over what I can and what I cant feed to hens????
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 22:47 »
the amount of protein, calcium, vits and minerals etc are different. These feeds are formulated to suit their growth and development at the correct ages.

Well the main difference is the extra calcium which Layers need for egg shells.  In theory pullets shouldn't need additional calcium beyond what's in their layers feed though as they get older they may need extra and most keepers make oyster shell available.  I say make available not mixed in their feed.

As young chickens are growing their skeleton rapidly it's not so good to overload them at an early age with calcium.

I don't think there's much if any diference in the protein levels though.
HF
Truth through science.

bobh

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 01:01 »
Don't forget the good old dandilion my chookaloos love 'em but the prim little ladies don't do stems leaf or flower.

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 01:41 »
Don't forget the good old dandilion my chookaloos love 'em but the prim little ladies don't do stems leaf or flower.

So they just eat the roots then! :unsure:
HF

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 07:03 »
here is a breakdown of marriages traditional feeds (this is not the brand that I use but one that I found the quickest)
chick crumb - oil 3%, protein 18.5%, fibre 3% and ash 5.5%.
growers - oil 3%, protein 15%, fibre 4.7% and ash 5.3%.
layers - oil 5.5%, protein 17%, fibre 3% and ash 12%.
fattening pellets - oil 4.2%, protein 16%, fibre 3.7% and ash 5.1%.
Staffies are softer than you think.

skelly

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 09:08 »
Our girls are approx 16 weeks. Is it OK to give them treats at this stage or should we wait until fully grown and laying?
The ladies we bought them from said too wait!!
Sweetcorn seems to be a favourite, Can you use out a tin, frozen but thawed, on the cob etc etc?

hillfooter

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 17:10 »
here is a breakdown of marriages traditional feeds (this is not the brand that I use but one that I found the quickest)
chick crumb - oil 3%, protein 18.5%, fibre 3% and ash 5.5%.
growers - oil 3%, protein 15%, fibre 4.7% and ash 5.3%.
layers - oil 5.5%, protein 17%, fibre 3% and ash 12%.
fattening pellets - oil 4.2%, protein 16%, fibre 3.7% and ash 5.1%.

Ash by the way isn't the contents of the fire grate but in fact refers to the mineral content which is measured by combusting the feed to leave an ash which contains the minerals.  The ash contains the calcium so you can see that layers contains over twice the amount that crumbs and growers do.  Basically fattening pellets are for feeding to table birds and as far as this analysis is concerned is very little different from growers. 

This analysis of course doesn't show what minerals or vitamins are included  and in what proportions.

FYI Spillers Layers is Oil 4.0%, Protein 17%, Fibre 6.0%, Minerals 14% which is even higher in minerals.  I don't think the other variations are that significant.

Feeding treats at 16 weeks - I don't think it would do any harm though as they are just coming in to lay I wouldn't significantly change their diet maybe it might be better to hold off a couple of weeks.

HF

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 19:05 »
 :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
blimey and I was confused before  :D

Ok HF and Joy if my babies were hatched on 12th Feb, and at the moment they are on growers pellets.....
a. when do I change their food to layers
b. when are they coming up to laying

I also understand as one of you have informed to on a different post about including any change over a period of days.

I supply grit in a tub in their run as well as corn handful of every evening, cider vinegar in their water......is there anything else I have missed??

last question on the topic of Poo! two of the girls seem quite firm whilst the third seems quite runny. I have just finished a seven day worming course just in case this has anything to do with it. Lastly would grapes make them runny?? I give them about six each a day to get them to eat from my hand.

Thank you again for the invaluable advice you share on this site  :)
if wishes were changes.......

hillfooter

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 03:33 »
:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
blimey and I was confused before  :D

Ok HF and Joy if my babies were hatched on 12th Feb, and at the moment they are on growers pellets.....
a. when do I change their food to layers.  Start to phase in layers at about 16weeks
b. when are they coming up to laying Hybrids start 18 to 21 weeks and pure breeds up to 24weeks generallly) 

I also understand as one of you have informed to on a different post about including any change over a period of days.

I supply grit in a tub in their run as well as corn handful of every evening, cider vinegar in their water......is there anything else I have missed??  ACV isn't an essential water additive.  I use it ocassionally if I think their water consumption is down.  They seem to like it and it encourages them to drink more.  I wouldn't add it all the time

last question on the topic of Poo! two of the girls seem quite firm whilst the third seems quite runny. I have just finished a seven day worming course just in case this has anything to do with it. Lastly would grapes make them runny?? I give them about six each a day to get them to eat from my hand.   Worming can make their droppings runny as can hot weather.  Extra water passed helps cool them.  Droppings are also very varieble so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless they had persistant diarrhoea.   There's a droppings sticky post on the site which shows different types of droppings but it serves to show that they can be very variable and unless you want to indulge in the sort of psuedo science quackery practised by Dr Gillian Mckeith I wouldn't get too into analysis.  Grapes in the quantities you indicate shouldn't be a problem   

Thank you again for the invaluable advice you share on this site  :)

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 07:25 »
 :D  may be I should call myself Dr Mckeith then......I seem to spend a lot of time poo picking in the horses field and working out which horse did what  and now even starting to do it on the chickens, .........oh I really must get a life   ::)

Thanks again HF for the advice.

~Dr Mc Broody  :D

xx
confused hens!!

Started by pamdaw on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 13:31
by chicken soup
xx
Now Confused!!!Re- poorly hens

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 16:37
by Oliveview
xx
what do you feed your hens?

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 12:55
by Casey76
xx
When do you feed your hens?

Started by tomsbirds on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 19:25
by alibean

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 29 queries.