Chicken with messy vent

• 2 Replies

Helenaj

Chicken with messy vent
« on: May 14, 2010, 19:37 »
Hello everyone!
I am a long time reader/first time poster on this site. I'm after a little advice. A month ago I bought two Barnevelder POLs. They are very lively and eating well, but from the start I have noticed that one of them has a very messy vent. When I clean the coop and checked the roaming area (they run free range with my other girls), I haven't come across any odd poos or diarrhoea - I've checked against the chart! They've been wormed and have ACV in their water, but the problem seems to persist. The back end looks a mess and must be uncomfortable for her.
Having looked at some of the earlier posts, I wonder if she just isn't clearing her feathers when she poos - she's really very fluffy in that area. Could it be anything else causing the discharge? They are fed layers pellets and have a daily treat of frozen sweetcorn (defrosted). All my other girls are okay.
 I intend to wash and trim her tomorrow to see if that helps -if she is a little sore, what's the best thing to put on her - vaseline?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty Chick

Re: Chicken with messy vent
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 22:19 »
Welcome Helenaj  :D
My orpingtons often have mucky bottoms because they sometimes can't clear the fluff, so
I give them a warm bath with mild shampoo. They are happy, healthy hens, so I guess it's just a case of their droppings getting caught in the fluff.
I use vaseline on the chickens' combs and wattles if they look a bit sore (especially during the Winter) so I think it's fine to use. However, there might be something better, especially for chickens maybe.
All lives are precious.

Jeanette

Re: Chicken with messy vent
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 12:00 »
She isnt dropping her feather knikers far enough. Give her a warm bath and when she is in the water gently give her feathers a little rub and it will all come of. If she is sore i would put a bit of germolene on her.

xx
Chicken bleeding from vent

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 16:47
by joyfull
xx
chicken with blooming vent!help!

Started by dukebankchicks on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:36
by dukebankchicks
xx
Chicken with sore vent - Happy Update

Started by Davenports on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 20:01
by Honeysuckle
xx
messy poo

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 21:54
by poultrygeist

Page created in 1.957 seconds with 30 queries.