How long will my chicken be broody?

• 8 Replies

Tartuffe

• "why don't you come on over Valerie"
How long will my chicken be broody?
« on: May 12, 2010, 20:52 »
I have a lovely little wyandotte who is broody........has been for about a fortnight nearly, I dont want any hatching egss etc and remove the laid eggs by the others each day, she's not very happy but does get up and walk around etc after ive moved her out fo the nest box......................am I doing the right thing and how much longer will she likely be broody?

Thanks,
Nickyx
Tartuffe Cavies - Black and Beige Tans of Character and Distinction

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Re: How long will my chicken be broody?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 21:05 »
I have a LS banty who has been broody for 3 weeks now. I have managed to source some hatching eggs as I was planning on hatching anyway. In my experience the hens will stay broody unless they are 'brought out of broodiness'. There are apparently quite a few ways, e.g. broody box with wire floor. I even heard someone say dunk them in freezing water 4 times a day, but i really don't like the sound of that one!

Steve

Tartuffe

• "why don't you come on over Valerie"
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 21:17 »
Oooooo! the dunking sounds a bit brutal!

Im just a small keeper/enthusiast with five girls (3 purebreds and 2 hybrids) that are more for pet value (with the benefit of the eggs!) so not sure I really want to hatch any (knowing my luck they would all be cockerels!) although the thought is rather appealing.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 21:19 »
Yes, keep taking her out and if you keep doing this, she might give up being broody after a few days. However, if you don't take her out she might be broody for a few weeks, so carry on doing what you are doing  :)
All lives are precious.

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 22:38 »
How long is a piece of string?
Unless you take some sort of action it all depends on the hen, sometimes they don't really settle to it, sometimes they'll sit for a week, sometimes a lot longer, longer even than it would have taken to hatch a batch of eggs! I've never tried breaking a broody, I have silkies because they go broody. :D

Dunking doesn't need to be in icy water, just ordinarily cold. It's less fuss than a sin-bin, but I have no idea as to their relative effectiveness.  :blush:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:37 »
Hello, have you got a cockerel? If the girls havn't been near a cockerel, you wont get any hatching eggs!!  As with the broodiness, I had a broody hen and despite all attempts from me to try and get her out of it, and I did feel cruel, as its only natural behaviour, I now just let them get on with it, usually lasts about three weeks.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:45 »
My cuckoo maran goes broody very frequently but last year she took a week to break (by putting her in the dog cage every day), now it's just 2 days. But egg laying doesn't resume straight away.
Staffies are softer than you think.

22fox

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 21:48 »
I gave up trying to stop my girl from sitting on eggs so i just gave her 5 fertile to get on with it hoping she will be a happy bunny in the end only 8 days to go now!
I<3exbatts

pjarty

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 15:16 »
Hi Over the years I've always found the best way to bring a hen off being broody is to take her off the nest box and place her outside of the hen hut and run and keep the hen hut door shut.  If she can't see the next boxes for a couple of days, that usually does the trick.  The only problem with this theory is that the rest of my girls are shut in their run with access to the hen house & nesting boxes for laying via the bob hole.  Usually, once the girls have laid, I swap them all over - placing broody in the run with the bob hole to the hen house closed and the laying girls are free to roam anywhere, with access to lay via the then opened hen house door.  It's a bit of a faff, but broody soon gets cooled down and obviously finds it no fun having forced isolation.  You can expect her to be off laying for a couple of weeks.  I also find that sometimes a broody sat in the nest box puts the other girls off laying.  So you can expect yields to be down when all this is going on.  Hope this helps

xx
how long is a hen broody for?

Started by thats1crazylady on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 18:40
by thats1crazylady
xx
PLEASE HELP!! how long will they be broody for?

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 00:27
by Shazzer
xx
how long will she be broody for?

Started by jackie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 17:17
by Pretty Chick
xx
How Long Broody

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2010, 23:50
by peter rooster

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 37 queries.