potato question

• 5 Replies

babycakes

potato question
« on: May 14, 2010, 17:26 »
hi i planted my earlies back in march (around middle of march) and have not seen any sign of foilage so i had a peek to see wot was happening and nothing has happened!!! in fact the potato seeds i planted have disappered? i did find 2 but were literally rotten! Have the rest gone the same way and composted down? :mad: They were planted in a raised bed in the garden, compost of top of clay soil-where did i go wrong? and also does any1 no how far down the potatos/roots spread? thanku v.much  :)

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Re: potato question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 18:36 »
I don't know the answer to your question, but I planted my potatoes in March too (all of them, not just the earlies! That's what comes of being new to this!  ::)). They were planted in containers in compost and I started adding compost until it reached the top of the container about a month ago. They are now a good 6" tall and very bushy and healthy. So it can't be down to the weather or anything. Maybe your potatoes weren't so good when you bought them?

UrbanG

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 18:46 »
I'm just down the road from you Babycakes so we should of had the same weather.

I also planted mine in mid / end of March and I have already had to earth them up and they now seem to be going strong and have good folage. Maybe you had a bad batch? did you chit them before planting?

Depending on how many you have planted, If I was you I would lift half of the spuds / replant and leave the others a little while longer (just to see if they do anything)

1st year at 'proper' veggie gardening with 2x 12ftx4ft raised beds. loads of patio containers, 2 chickens and 1 ferret.

nobby90

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 20:27 »
I planted mine at the end of March.  The Mimi and Kestra are only just starting to come up.  I dont think this very dry weather has helped.

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 22:56 »
That's tough babycakes. Just checked dates and I put 2 rows in last week in March under plastic and another 2 rows first week in April. All are doing very well apart from a bit of frosted foliage. The containerised ones in the greenhouse now have flowers showing so I suspect you must have got a bad batch.

babycakes

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 13:49 »
thanks guys for ur replies! i think that i may have to replant more  :blush:

xx
Yet another Potato question!! Sorry

Started by JulieP on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 20:35
by Yabba
xx
Potato question

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 23:02
by Swing Swang
xx
Potato question

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 13:24
by gregmcalister
xx
Potato Question

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 21:58
by Brambles

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 28 queries.