Anyone here from France, help with sourcing stuff

• 13 Replies

Andee

Hi,
another newbie here making plans for the arrival of 3 chooks in July. I have the Hen's Den sorted :- see here http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56419.0 but I have yet to sort out where and what to buy, supplies wise.

For bedding (scattering on the floor of the coop) I have a small supply of sawdust and wood chips from my workshop and garden but was wondering if something like hemcore is available over here?

I'd also like to know where to go for food and pest control supplies. Anyone recommendations of brands would be welcome.

Many thanks

Andy

tode

Re: Anyone here from France, help with sourcing stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:45 »
Hi Andee,  there should be a "Cooperative agricole" or an "Agrial" near you: try googling.  Both are very good for all agriculural supplies.

Wher abouts are you:  near Lisieux ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:09 »

For bedding (scattering on the floor of the coop) I have a small supply of sawdust and wood chips from my workshop and garden but was wondering if something like hemcore is available over here?

aubiose is the French equivalent of Hemcore and is better in my experience.

If you use saw dust/wood chip in the coop it must be dust extracted or the hens risk respiratory damage.

Andee

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:07 »
Tode,
I am a lot closer to Caen than Lisieux, on the western fringe of the Pays d'Auge. In which part of the NW are you.

googling Agrial leads me straight to Point Vert who I thought were just another garden centre, an expensive one at that, we have one quite close so I'll take a peek & see if what they have.

Thanks

Andy

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:39 »
Hello *waves*

You need to find a feed mill which supplies the agricultural types ;)  Buying food is much cheaper at the mill than from a garden centre which also does élevage (like I pay 9e for 25kg of layers at the mill and 16.50e at Trefle Vert).  The mill also supplies bedding for horses and chooks, in the form of "paille de lin" which is really nice for in the house and nest boxes (though I also use straw in the nest boxes too).

Now, I'm on the other side of the country, so I don't know how good my recommendations are going to be, but if you can't get to a mill, then I usually buy Sanders.  They do sacks of 10 and 25kg for the whole range of basse-cour.  I buy these as Trefle Vert, which I guess must be similar to your Point Vert.  Normal garden centres don't often sell chickeny stuff, so you have to look out for the "élevage."

If you want to buy online, you can either buy from the UK, or use someone like Ducatillon (though I wouldn't recommend thier coops - been there done that!)

tode

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:43 »
We're near Alençon, so a bit further South than you.  Just in the dept of Sarthe.

I've always found the best prices at our lmocal Cooperative: there should be one somewhere near you.

We've always used straw for our birds: cheap, natural and makes cleaning easy. And of course it goes on the compost when dirty.

What exactly is Hemcore?

I'd be a bit wary of sawdust, since virtually all wood is treated chemically now.

Andee

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:52 »
Tode, thanks. Have you spelt Imocal correctly as I can't get any results on Google.

Hemcore details http://www.hemcore.co.uk/bedding.php

It seems to be very popular on here and elsewhere

cheers

Andy

tode

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 12:57 »
Sorry   :blush:   "lmocal"  was in fact  "LOCAL".      Re-  :blush:

Andee

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 13:04 »
You need to find a feed mill which supplies the agricultural types ;)  Buying food is much cheaper at the mill than from a garden centre which also does élevage (like I pay 9e for 25kg of layers at the mill and 16.50e at Trefle Vert).  The mill also supplies bedding for horses and chooks, in the form of "paille de lin" which is really nice for in the house and nest boxes (though I also use straw in the nest boxes too).

Casey, I'm al for buying as cheaply as possible. Could you possibly tell me les mots francais pour "feed mill".

Thanks

Andy

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 13:39 »
My local mill is listed under "minoteries" or "meuneries" et "alimentation animale (fabrication, gros)" dans la "pages jaune" :)

Andee

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 13:57 »
Thanks Casey.

Andy

Chablis Dog

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 15:54 »
Hi, I'm another French resident just joined this forum recently, between Alencon and Mortagne-au-Perche.  I have also had problems with sourcing stuff.  I try to get good quality food for my chooks (organic just isn't available, so I may import some).  I haven't had any luck with buying food online either, so I will just get a friend to bring it over for me.  There is an English run company in Geneva who are trying to import some organic chook food but they have encountered a lot of problems so far, so this is not yet available (she also does English pet food too).  The best stuff I have got so far was from Point Vert in Alencon.  My local Agrial only sold shoddy stuff although I am told they do bags of crushed oyster shell, so I am off to look for that soon (coquilles de huitres concasse).

We have a very good relationship with our farmer neighbour and when my chooks arrived he brought up a one ton bale of staw for the bedding.  Hilariously I was told this would last me 2-3 years.  As I change the bedding almost daily, that ain't going to happen.  I can't wait to see his face when I pop up in about a year or so and tell him I want another one!!!!!

Anyway nice to see some fellow French resident chook people.

Junie

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 20:13 »
I use Point Vert, may be more expensive, but I have had no problems in the year I have had the chooks.  We also have a local sawmill where I get my shavings - not sure if this is the right thing to do, but again have had no respiratory problems. The owner only gives me shavings from untreated wood.  All food containers etc have been bought  at Point vert also.  I wold like to know of any other places as I have not found anywhere else locally.

elibump

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 07:42 »
Like others have suggested, I use the local co-op for my lage purchases of corn or chicken pellets.  Our local Super U also does smallish bags of poultry food failing that we have a Jardin Vert (part of Brico Marché I believe), or indeed Brico Marché itself that sells large sacs of poultry food, Maiïs concassé etc.

Totally agree with Ducatillon Coop comments - our has totally fallen apart after just 18 months/2 years.  The Gaffer now building one using floorboarding from Le Roy Merlin's cheap section.

On the plus side for around here (Dordogne 24) it is extremely rural so that helps as all the locals have their own chooks/geese/ducks etc.

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

xx
Sourcing Bees?

Started by Doodle on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 15:32
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Diatom - sourcing supplier

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 12:03
by poultrygeist
xx
Chickens in France

Started by Ariege on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 24, 2014, 20:53
by brookieme
xx
moving to France

Started by hen maiden on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 14:49
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 37 queries.