strategy to introduce new birds

• 4 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
strategy to introduce new birds
« on: May 11, 2010, 17:44 »
Hi
I have just bought 3 new hens and am wanting advice on introducing them to the existing 3 that I have. They are sleeping together ok at night but during the day, the 3 older birds are constantly chasing the younger ones. I have had them separated for 2 days - the older birds are fastened in their run and the younger ones are in a fenced area outside.
Today, I have let one of the older birds out with the younger ones- much to the annoyance of the other 2 older ones.
Is there any reason why introducing one bird at a time is a bad idea? The older one still has a go at the others but on a much smaller scale.
thanks
Phil

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: strategy to introduce new birds
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:17 »
the problem with introducing one bird at a time is that it means that the new single bird will get all the bullying. You have intorduced the single bird the other way round so this wouldn't happen  :lol:
However when you put them all together it will resume, this is because you are introducing new birds onto the old hens territory, all they see is intruders. The pecking order has to be established and this can take several weeks, it is best not to interfear but stay on hand with purple spray and wound powder should they be needed.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:41 »
I introduced 1 new bird to 3 a couple of months ago, initially there was a lot of bullying, but as they were all out in the garden there was plenty of space to give her room, they were fine so long as she kept her distance. At night they all went into the coup together, eventually they have accepted her into their harem. It took several weeks though.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 07:44 »
also make sure that you have plenty of feeders and drinkers just in case the bullies try to stop the new ones getting their food (they cant guard them all at the same time  :lol:)along with hiding places  :)

Bilbo67

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 07:46 »
Hi there I have just introduced 6 new birds to the 6 I originally had on Saturday, I had my original 6 about 5 weeks I put them all in together on saturday morning there was feathers flying everywhere at first :ohmy: Saturday night the all went into the coop Sunday morning there was the odd squobble but now its a case of the odd peck at each other ::).So i would put them all in together but keep a close eye on them.

xx
Introducing 2 new Hens - Strategy advice please !

Started by threeranger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 16:03
by threeranger
xx
Can I introduce.....

Started by rudy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 18:29
by rudy
xx
When to introduce my little ones??

Started by Carla on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 19:12
by PhilDotte
xx
When to introduce chicks

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 21:28
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 37 queries.