Strawberry plants and frost

• 11 Replies

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Strawberry plants and frost
« on: May 10, 2010, 09:04 »
Now I know that strawberry plants are pretty hardy and that they are out on the plot all winter, but some of  my early varieties have some nice looking strawberries growing on them. Tonight we are due to have temperatures of -6, and I am remembering how strawberries go when they have been in the freezer.

What do you reckon - should I cover them up or bring them in? (The fruiting ones are in pots but the others which are not fruiting yet are in the ground)

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Re: Strawberry plants and frost
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:03 »
For the benefit of anyone reading my original post and who is not sure what to do either, I have now managed to find a very long article on the internet which says that strawberry plants actually give a better yield if the crowns are allowed to become frosted, but once the fruit appears they will need protection.

With a -6 temperature though I am not going to take any chances, so am moving my pots into the garage, and the rest which are not at the fruiting or flowering stage (including my carrot and salad seedlings in the raised bed) will be covered up tonight.

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 13:00 »
Tonight we are due to have temperatures of -6.

Where did you get that info from? The worst forecast I got was down to 0C.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 16:09 »
www.metcheck.com

Early hours of Tues temp drops to -4   but "feels like" -6 and drops to -6 by 4am.  This is for my postcode, may be different for yours.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 16:12 by chris23005 »

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 21:15 »
Someone on the plot today suggested that if the flower centre goes black through the frost then no strawberries. Can anyone confirm this? I have done much fruit before so I've no experience.

BIG-Paddy
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 21:26 »
We have had lots of radiation frosts with the clear nights but although the odd tater plant was slightly scorched the strawbs are undamaged and the fruit is setting well.
Hopefully the frosts have finished here now. :)

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 21:50 »
Someone on the plot today suggested that if the flower centre goes black through the frost then no strawberries. Can anyone confirm this? I have done much fruit before so I've no experience.

BIG-Paddy

Yes, I believe that is correct. I googled it eventually and found a very long paper written on the effect of frost on strawberries and there was mention of the flower centre going black which means it would not produce fruit from that flower. I have only just got in from work, and it is a busy week, but if I can find the article later I will put the link on here.

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 22:11 »
I was gutted to find about 50% of my strawbs have gone black inside the flower too. :( :(
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 22:18 »
I know its painful to see, but simply pinch the flower off.

If you have fed your plant more will come and you will only be helping those blossoms that are healthy.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 04:50 »

BIG-Paddy

Yes, I believe that is correct. I googled it eventually and found a very long paper written on the effect of frost on strawberries and there was mention of the flower centre going black which means it would not produce fruit from that flower. I have only just got in from work, and it is a busy week, but if I can find the article later I will put the link on here.

Up at 4am today (too hot!!!!  :ohmy:) so here I am hunting for the paper on frosted strawberries!!! It was actually an American paper (New York) aimed at commercial growers but the principle is the same, so here it is:

http://www.fruit.cornell.edu/Berries/strawpdf/strfrostprotect.pdf

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 20:39 »
Thanks for the answer and the definitive article Chris. I do like a proper evidenced answer.

BIG-Paddy

kel28

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 00:59 »
Here's another link it was on here last week. I went up my allot and thought I dont remember the black dots on my strawberry plants last yr, so as always I thought I'd have a look on here and see if anyone else has the same.  Never disappointed they did and someone posted this link
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=470

blooming frosts! xx
kem

xx
strawberry plants and frost

Started by eco-friendly on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 09:09
by Noah'strolly
xx
Anyone put out frost sensitive plants yet??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 21, 2023, 21:57
by missmoneypenny
xx
Strawberry Plants

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 09:30
by bigben
xx
strawberry plants

Started by Fingers crossed on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 19:38
by Fingers crossed

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 28 queries.