Raised beds and cherry tree roots

• 4 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Raised beds and cherry tree roots
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:50 »
Hi folks

I have a roughly triangular section garden which is the only bit not block paved because of the dogs.  I have fenced it off so the dogs can't get to it and want to grow stuff there that I need quickly eg herbs.

In the centre is a raised area with a cherry tree.

As we were removing all the gravel yesterday, ready to dig, we noticed how far the cherry tree roots are spreading.  Not sure what to do now - it will certainly make digging/cultivating any depth a bit of a problem.  Althought the ground is very wet (we will be adding a lot of manure and compost), I am wondering if the tree will deprive the plants of moisture.

The length of each side of the triangle is about 34 feet.  There are about 4 shrubs on the edges but I could remove these if necessary but I am very fond of the cherry tree in the middle.  Was wondering about putting the beds along the fence lines but worried about not enough sun etc.  It will certainly make things a challenge deciding where to put beds and where to put walkways.

Any suggestions?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Raised beds and cherry tree roots
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 09:18 »
This is the same situation I have for my veg beds..............be warned the roots will grow up into your veg beds and they will forever need watering!
I have to dig deeply every year just to remove the roots that have grown up in the previous year, not the ideal raised beds ::)
I do get decent crops but you really have to keep up with the feeding and watering 'cos the tree takes a lot of it.
My tree is coming out later this year...enough is enough for me!

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:24 »
mmm that doesn't sound too good.  We are on metre water as well  :(

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 22:34 »
I have a large huge goat willow on my plot. It was top pruned professionally last year which has opened up a patch of grass to more light.

I stripped off the top 8-12 inces of soil (its on a slight slope). I then made three raised beds from some wooden crates about 1m x 1m x 0.6m. I have covered the base of the crates with landscape fabric to hopefully stop the roots coming up into the soil inside the crates. Should find out in the winter when I dig through them. The sides are lined internally with polythene to help reduce water loss.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:08 »
I guess I am going to have to be inventive :)

Wonder what will be best is the shadied areas?

clip
Starting raised beds near Cherry Tree

Started by Jack Child on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2020, 18:00
by Jack Child
xx
Roots in raised beds question

Started by foxi loxi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 22:05
by foxi loxi
xx
spacing of roots in raised beds

Started by cowpat on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 22:03
by viettaclark
xx
'Early Rivers' Cherry Tree 5-6 ft , Found a'Dwarf cherry' is this better?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 14:27
by Judd

Page created in 0.717 seconds with 30 queries.