CLAY CAUSING WATER TABLE AFTER RAINFALL

• 14 Replies

Doc323

CLAY CAUSING WATER TABLE AFTER RAINFALL
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:09 »
Hi I am new to this site and have read the advice on clay soil already posted, but my clay problem is slightly different.  I have two allotments side by side 150ft by 20ft each, a spade depth down there is a clay shelf that completely covers both sites, infact it covers nearly the entire allotment site, poor drainage when field turned into allotments, along with no up keep of drainage system, allows only a 3 to 6 inch depth of soil in which to grow.  The majority of allotment holders only grow Beans and Tomatoes, etc.  I am trying to feed several families on a low budget with a variety of veggies. After a rainfall, the water sits on the clay shelf for days before it eventually drains away, I have lost over 300 potato plants due to this problem.

I am trying to raise the height of the soil by double digging a trench and putting a 9 inch layer of woodchip before digging next trench, this is working, but being disabled and in poor health this is taking too long.  I have also dug in some very deep soak aways filled with rocks, this is not so good but do have a close supply of water.  local council do not want to help or can't afford to help.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem or any ideas that I can try?  Being on benefits I can not afford to buy the amount of sand I would need.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: CLAY CAUSING WATER TABLE AFTER RAINFALL
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:24 »
someone will have the answer for you but the very best to you in any case

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:44 »
Make lazy beds to raise your planting areas up away from the clay.
All it means, simply put, is to make 4ft wide raised beds without the wood around them.

Dig soil from the path areas and heap them on the bed, this doubles your planting depth, traight away :)
However, it is only the continual improvement and cultivation of your soil that will eventually improve it the drainage and depth of soil.
So good luck with it :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:47 »
How thick is thre clay layer Doc ?

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 21:08 »
Doc, you need to double dig your plots, but don`t add woodchip, this will do more harm than good. Try and get a supply of well rotted manure and use instead. Also. you say you are trying to feed several poor budget families. Get these people to help you, don`t feed them for nothing, let them pull their weight in this. ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 21:17 »
If you don't have any compost or manure available to bulk up your soil you could ask the council where they stack their autumn leaves and dig some leaf mould in.

Lazy beds sounds a good way forward.

Surprised no-one else at your site has done this  :ohmy: :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 21:28 »
A heavy liming will help to improve the soil texture by flocculating the clay. It will also encourage earth worms and other friendly organisms like soil bacteria to work for you.  

Lots of organic material:  manure with plenty of straw; composted bark (not chipped); peat, anything you can get.  Green manure like Forage Rye can be sown from Aug to Nov and be over wintered before digging in.

Using these in combination with double digging will help a lot.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:08 »
We have heavy clay soil, interested in the lime application tip Aunt Sally, can you tell us the best time of year to do this .

Have found that adding compost and manure helps loads , planting green fertiliser crops over winter too, helps to protect the soil structure .

Avoid walking on the growing areas as much as possible when its wet and get some peeps to help with the double digging to break up the pan of clay, will help with drainage.

On the positive side , when there is little rain the veg crops on clay soils survive better than on free draining soil.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 14:10 »
Never needed to do that as we have a sandy loam.  Probably when you are digging over in the autumn at a guess.

Try these sites:

http://www.lime.org/soil2.pdf

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/gardening_in_bc/100061

There's quite a few mor out on the net.

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 14:16 »
I added a load of lime to one bed, and to be honest it didn't do as much good as digging in loads of manure.

Find a stables with a good supply of well rotted manure and get as many friends and family as possible to help you move as much as you can onto your allotment and dig it in.  This will both improve the structure of the soil, provide food for your plants, and raise the level of your growing area.

The more organic matter you put into the clay the better, with a bit of time the worms will pull it down and improve the overall drainage.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 14:18 »
Absolutely Steve. 

Loads of organic matter is what's needed but the lime will help to incorporate it into the soil by making the very fine clay particles stick together into bigger ones.  Checking the pH will help to know if it needs liming.

Doc323

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 21:15 »
The clay varies between 3 to 5 feet deep, with help have managed to dig a trench 3 feet wide and 20 feet long, it is currently 18inches deep, we are trying to find the earth beneath the clay, to see if this acts as a soak away, this was a suggestion from the council.

I have access to a manure mountain, now have the means to transport it, just need the help to carry it to and from the trailer.

Thanks to all who have replied, will try all the ideas the I have not already done.

The other allotment holders on the site seem to be have just growing non root vegatables, their are hardly any potato growers.

Will keep you all posted if I come across a solution.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 21:26 »
The clay varies between 3 to 5 feet deep, from the council.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: That's one heck of a depth of clay. Dig it out and sell it for pottery making  ;)  I think your only hope is what you are doing.  Try to put some drainage in and heap as much organic material (including green manure on the top to build the level up.

I have access to a manure mountain, now have the means to transport it, just need the help to carry it to and from the trailer.

Get those families you want to feed to help with that !!!!!!

DavidT

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 19:44 »
Doc, what sort of clay do you have? Is it blue, red or brown?

Salmo

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 09:58 »
If you enter your location into your profile it helps you to get better advice.

If the clay has been dumped in the past then there is some hope of finding soil below it. In many areas with natual clay it goes down for 10s of feet and may end at the rock layer.

I would go one step further than lazy beds and put in proper raised beds with boards round.

xx
Weather/rainfall/climate idea

Started by mushroom on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 18:50
by David.
xx
Using burn water to water vegetables

Started by Marketa on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 12, 2020, 14:24
by grinling
xx
clay soils

Started by awen on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 12:14
by Ann
xx
Rockery based on clay?

Started by ConfusedGardener on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 23:40
by ConfusedGardener

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 29 queries.