Kiftsgate Rose

• 4 Replies

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Kiftsgate Rose
« on: May 10, 2010, 19:37 »
I think it may be time for a pair of new glasses..........I bought a supremely healthy Kiftsgate rose and whilst unloading it from the car, a dear old couple walked up the drive delivering election leaflets. The lady said how beautiful and strong it looked and she presumed I'd got a large tree to grow it up. I smiled sweetly at her and thought, 'poor thing, she's in her own world......' Taking said rose through to the back I looked I took the label off and read it quickly, and did a double take "eventual height 30ft x 35 ft" what the..........I'd read it as 3ft x 3.5ft; soooooooo can I do anything to keep it smaller as I don't have anything for it to climb that high, or do I take it back to the nursery and tell them I'm a complete numpty who needs new specs? (I do love the look of it by the way!!!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Kiftsgate Rose
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 19:46 »
it's a thug so my advice would be take it back and swap for something more manageable, cos you'll never be in control with Kiftgate.

Kiftsgate.co.uk: The Kiftsgate Rose
Taking up half the space on one side in the Rose Border is Rosa filipes 'Kiftsgate'. In 1938 my grandmother bought what she thought was Rosa moschata from the late E. A. Bunyard;
We claim that it is the largest rose in England, and when it was last measured it was 80 feet x 90 feet x 50 feet high. It would indeed be much bigger if it was not severely cut back from the beech hedge and path. Our fear is that it will eventually pull down the large copper beech over which it is draped.

See what I mean  :ohmy:

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 21:49 »
Hearing you loud and clear MOS!!!!! I've bought a triffid! off to the nursery first thing tomorrow, then the opticians! Jude

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 21:52 »
Make sure you do swap it --- we have one at school growing through a stand of trees and it rambles high and wide. Smells gorgeous but it was abig mistake  --- and I mean big   :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Spana

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 22:01 »
Shame you're not closer Jude, I'd take it off your hands :)  Thinking of putting one along the side of a big cattle barn :)

xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
The best rose

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post November 15, 2015, 11:58
by mumofstig
xx
My Mum's Rose

Started by LilacSandy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 12:46
by tosca100
xx
Which Rose??

Started by sarah-king on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 20:43
by sarah-king

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 29 queries.