Unusual egg please help!

• 7 Replies

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Unusual egg please help!
« on: April 23, 2010, 19:56 »
Before I posted this I did have a look at posts regarding shell less eggs but would like some more advice please!
All four of my hens have laid their usual lovely eggs today, but I just went out with a little corn for their supper treat and found a perfect egg yolk on the ground, and about a foot away was the white sac - no sign of a shell!
I have no idea who laid it, all their bottoms look good and no one is showing signs of distress. They didn't come to POL until Jan/Feb/March so they are not old and certainly not ready to moult. Is this likely to be a one off? They have pellets daily, some greens, a little corn, and mixed grit is available all the time. They are all pure breeds, and the first to lay today was the gold laced wyandotte so I feel she is the most likely culprit.
Any help would be much appreciated as it was rather a surprise!

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: Unusual egg please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 15:42 »
I'll put in my two penneth as no-one more experienced has given an answer. I would think that it was a one off.
Did you get 4 eggs today? The yolk may have been one of today's eggs delivered too early to put a shell on it.
I would not worry unless it happens regularly. Hope the culprit settles down and produces good eggs in future.  :)

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 17:55 »
It happens occaisionally, especially when they are new. In my 20 years of chicken keeping, we haven't had more than half a dozen in all that time (from max 6 chucks)

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 19:58 »
Thanks for the replies! I only had 3 eggs today - the orp banty went to the nest this morning but nothing happened so I guess it must be her. She seems ok but I'll keep an eye on her - she has been laying the longest, since Christmas eve, so she's done well.
It was the fact that the yolk was completely separate from the white that threw me, but I guess it must have popped through a split in the white. It did break my heart to see such a beautiful yolk go to waste!!!! :(

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 20:19 »
I know how you feel about the waste yolk. I dropped an egg once and scooped most of it up and as it was clean I scrambled it and cooked it for the hens. They loved it. The ultimate in recycling.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 21:26 »
It's a bit of luck really.  I have one hen that does stuff like that regularly, and three other hens that never do it at all.  Who knows why?
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 06:09 »
It's not unusual with young hens and doesn't necessarily mean it will be a recurring thing so don't worry and keep their nutrition the same as you are doing.  The biggest mistake is to take drastic action and start to force feed calcium at the first sign.
Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 20:26 »
Thanks HF, appreciate the response - all seems well so far!

xx
Is this unusual?

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 20:07
by NormandyMary
xx
Is this unusual????

Started by Le Coq on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2007, 07:49
by Le Coq
xx
Is this unusual?

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 20:55
by bantam novice
xx
Unusual Egg

Started by farmerGiles on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 10:43
by Bev

Page created in 0.626 seconds with 36 queries.