Is this unusual?

• 14 Replies

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Is this unusual?
« on: April 28, 2008, 21:40 »
We finally found 4 lovely hens on Sunday, two 12 week old marans and two lovely round hybrid red hens. Took them back to our 'ranch' lunchtime Sunday and introduced them to their spacious run and luxury abode (built beautifully by OH)

As we had researched, we expected to, and we helped them indoors on Sunday evening, and then this morning, to our surprise, an egg!! Less than 24 hours after their arrival!!!

Went to 'help' them in again tonight, and all four of them, were already inside, ready for bed!

Is this unusual, or are they really happy already? Have we been sent chooks from heaven.

They really are delightful.
Liv.

Jellyhead

Is this unusual?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 21:42 »
Bit of both I would say. Mine cottoned on easy as to bed time routines. Yes delightful, you are now hooked and there is no letting go, have fun :wink:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
Is this unusual?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 21:45 »
chickens go inside as soon as it starts getting dark. Having said that my girls dont always want to go to bed when i want them to.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Is this unusual?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 21:46 »
welcome to our world...no one leaves alive  :mrgreen:

but im not seeing the pictures.... can everyone else see liv's chook pics :wink:

Jellyhead

Is this unusual?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 21:49 »
.........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......NO

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Is this unusual?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 22:24 »
I did take photo's today,  with my nearly 2 year old little girl holding her first egg, but how to get them on here............listen...i've no chance!! will work towards it though.  

I was so nervous about taking the plunge, (buying the hens) but now, with an egg and 5 little girls (including my own precious offspring) all tucked up in bed, i'm feeling rather smug.

I wish my own little one hopped onto her perch with as little fuss, but of course the excitement of our new arrivals has made her hyperactive to say the least.

peggyprice

Is this unusual?
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 22:30 »
We brought our four home just over a fortnight ago and put them straight into their lovely new run.  That evening as it got dark I went to put them to bed - and found them all cosily tucked up in their new house already.  Same every night since then - till last night!  

The girls all free range round the garden now, and late every afternoon I tempt them back into the run with some corn.  Was absolutely sure that all four were back in their run at 7pm, but when I went to shut them in at around 9, I thought 'I'll just check ... to be on the safe side'.  Opened the lid of the house a little, shone a torch in - only 3.  Checked the run - no more chickens.  Looked inside again, this time in the nest box.  Still only 3.  Checked round the garden - under the bit of broken fence I've left them as a shelter - checked again - still no more chickens.  
Looked AGAIN in the house, thinking I was going mad ... STILL only 3.  

Suddenly had a thought ... moved the stones that block the gap to the rear of the house (the front opens directly into the run).  Sure enough ... there were the unmistakeable rear quarters of Dorothy the egg eating Warren.  

We'd had a big thunderstorm earlier in the afternoon, and though she hadn't been hiding when I shut them in the run I think she was very wet and a bit unnerved so went to ground as it went dark.   Had to use a stick to gently prod her out from under the house, and then 'persuade' her inside!  

No sign of any trauma when she came out again this morning though ... still eating her own eggs perfectly happily  :evil: (given up on mustard - trying chilli paste now instead ...)
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
Is this unusual?
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 22:34 »
you have done the right thing. we got chickens in january and havent looked back. Ive got a 2 year old and she loves it.

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
Advice needed. caring for a 3 week old chick.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 22:38 »
Hiya, ive got 5 adult chickens. Have been offered a 3 week old chick but have no idea what chicks need. Any advice very welcome. - do they need heat? would it need to be kept in our house? when could it go outside with my 5 girls?

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Is this unusual?
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 08:30 »
Quote from: "mtoyne"
chickens go inside as soon as it starts getting dark. Having said that my girls dont always want to go to bed when i want them to.

I have had my new group of 8 ex-batts since easter weekend and decided on sunday night that they could go in with the older girls.  It took me and my OH 10 minutes of chasing until we finally got all 8 caught and in the shed. We had to literally grab them and push them in the shed and shut the door quickly otherwise they would be out again like grease lightning.  It had to be seen to be believed :lol:  :lol:

They are much more feisty than the other ex-batts and for little chickens they can't half run fast! I could have done with a video camera to catch my hubby in his dressing gown and trainers running down the field trying to catch them  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Last night was slightly better, no doubt in 2 weeks time they will get the message and put themselves to bed :D Saying that I wouldn't be without them and am even going to sneak a few more in when I get the chance, maybe Babe's fairies will visit and throw a few over the fence for me

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
Is this unusual?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:04 »
glad its not just me and OH chasing chickens in dressing gowns and slippers.

poultrygeist

Is this unusual?
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 12:14 »
Thought it was compulsory. I'm sure there's a law requiring it.

At stoopid o'clock there's no-one else about to see you anyway.

Rob

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Is this unusual?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 19:16 »
Quote from: "mtoyne"
glad its not just me and OH chasing chickens in dressing gowns and slippers.

nope...we all do it  :D

peggyprice

Is this unusual?
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 20:03 »
Dressing gown and slippers in the morning ... high heels and posh frock in the dark at bedtime...entertainment for the neighbours anytime :lol:

NormandyMary

Is this unusual?
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 20:07 »
Its dressing gown and trainers in this neck of the woods. Very fetching. Surprised it hasnt put them off laying!

xx
Unusual Egg

Started by farmerGiles on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 10:43
by Bev
xx
Unusual egg please help!

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 20:26
by Bonniebean
xx
Is this unusual????

Started by Le Coq on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2007, 07:49
by Le Coq
xx
Is this unusual?

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 20:55
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 28 queries.