Help with seed germination

• 7 Replies

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
Help with seed germination
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:08 »
2 weeks ago I planted a number of different seeds.  All in unheated prpogators and put them in my unheated greenhouse.

Most are up, French Beans, Runner Beans, Courgettes, Sprouts, cabbage, cauli.  However, my various tomatoes and various lettuce show no signs of doing anything yet.  They are all in exactly the same compost, position etc..

I have noticed at times it has got very hot in the propogators and I was wondering if maybe it is too hot and I have cooked them.  Should I start again and if so what should I do different.

Thanks

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Re: Help with seed germination
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:14 »
I am a bit of a newbie to this, but here goes. I don't have a greenhouse so sowed all my seeds indoors and they sit in the utility room and go outside during the day if it is warm.

Before I went away on holiday (mid April) I was pacing the floor waiting for seeds to germinate. When I got back they had mostly all popped up, DESPITE me having put them outside in a sheltered area of the garden as I didn't have anyone to water them. Even the coriander popped up which is notorious for not germinating. My lettuce has germinated into little seedlings but they are beginning to wilt and I cannot work out why unless they are a bit cold.

However, looking at my circumstances, I reckon you are right and that they could have got too hot - if mine have all managed to germinate (includes two varieties of tomatoes) and they were outside day and night for a week (admittedly the weather was warm) then maybe they just cannot cope with the wonderful tropical holiday you provided for them!  ;)

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:14 »
My tomatoes took 3 weeks to come through, I dont know about the lettuce as they came through straight away.
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 10:16 »
PS - forgot to say that I sowed another tray of lettuce mix two days ago and they are just popping up now!!! I would say "have another go"!

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:25 »
Thanks.  I think I'll have another go with the lettuce, and try not to cook them this time.  Perhaps just put them in the greenhouse without the propogator as well.

Perhaps I'll get a few more toms on the way as well, I just have a feeling I may have fried them as well.

I'll see how I get on

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 15:05 »
my two pen'orth for what it's worth.........tomatoes seem to like a nice, even, warm temperature to germinate. That's why I think you are better off to germinate them inside on a windowledge (not in full sun) :) In the greenhouse it can be baking hot during the day and then quite chilly at night :(

Once they have made a couple of leaves you can transfer them to the greenhouse if you need to :)

gillie

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 15:10 »
Lettuces will not germinate at high temperatures.  25 deg. C is reckoned to be the absolute maximum.

Gillie

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 17:20 »
OK, Thanks for the extra responses, I think I would be better bringing them inside and avoiding the extreme temperatures of the greenhouse.

I will try again,  I have also sown some lettuces direct on the allotment today so they may do better.

Steve, the definite novice.

xx
seed germination

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 15, 2017, 17:38
by victoria park
xx
Seed germination ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 17:05
by John
xx
seed germination and propagation

Started by thumperrabbit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 18:09
by Yorkie
xx
Leek seed germination.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 13:56
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.839 seconds with 32 queries.